Hold On (3)/Breakeven

This is part 3 to Hold On and is also inspired by a song called Breakeven by the script. I made sure to finish both parts 2 and 3 before posting so that you guys wouldn't have to wait. Enjoy! 😙
⚠️ angst and drama but whats new
------------------------------------------------------

- At the Party -

Y/n's pov:
I walk into Starks party wearing a black tight fitting dress that barely covers my ass. Maria is stand right next to me obviously excited to get wasted. Its our day off tomorrow so its fine. I look around the room and see Natasha holding on to Steves arm while talking to Bucky and Sam. I get annoyed seeing her but God is she beautiful. Im staring at her admiring how her dress hugs her body and accentuates her curves when i realize shes looking at me. For a second we make eye contact then Maria starts talking to me and i look away "You ready?" she says with a big smile on her face. I look back at Natasha and shes no longer with Steve. "Lets just get this over with."

Maria drags me to the bar to get a couple of drinks and I see Natasha sitting alone by the bar. I try to turn around and leave but she spots us and asks for our orders. "Hey, you guys want anything?" She looks at me sweetly. "Yeah a margarita would be nice!" Maria says almost immediately. Shes really trying her best to not make this awkward but thats obviously not working. "Great! and a gin and tonic with some sprite for you?" Natasha asks while looking at me. I never really liked trying new things and a gin and tonic was the first drink i had that I actually liked. Well i only grew to like it because I was always with Natasha.

~ Flashback ~

Y/n's pov:
God I hate coming to these things. The Avengers had just been formed and after the attack on New York S.H.I.E.L.D. decided to make Stark host a party to get investors interested. As if the whole saving the world thing wasn't already incentive enough. Im not even an Avenger but Fury wanted me to join. He said I could be partners with Agent Romanoff. From what Ive heard she has quite the reputation. "Hey are you Y/n?" I hear someone come up from behind me while I sip on my soda. I turn around and see its Agent Romanoff. " Yeah, Hi nice to meet you" I say with a smile shaking her hand "Im-" "Natasha Romanoff. The best Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and an Avenger at the same time." I cut her off which caught her off guard but she smiles at my words.

"So what're you drinking?" She asks while taking a seat beside me. "Just soda" She has a shock written across her face. "I don't really like drinking." I added as she nodded her head and ordered something form the bar tender. "Two gin and tonics please, oh and make sure you add a little sprite in it as well" I face her with an eyebrow raised slightly questioning why she would order two "Its one of my favorites, I think you'd like it" She says while smiling at me and her eyes staring into mine. Her eyes are so beautiful its a bright forest green that you could just easily get lost in. She looks away from me as the bar tender hands us our drinks. I keep staring at her admiring all of her actions. I never realized how beautiful she was until now. "Here try it" She says to me smiling. I take a sip and form a wide grin across my face. "You like it?" She says to me excitedly. No. I in fact do not like it i don't like alcohol in general, but i do like her and Im afraid that saying I don't like the drink it would get awkward so instead if telling her the truth I lie. "It's delicious you're so right" She smiles and turns away facing the bar.

After a few seconds of silence I ask her a question, "Fury sent you didn't he?" she smirks at me "Yeah how'd you know?" I roll my eyes. Of course he would send her to try and get me to join. "I know what he wants and-" "And you'd love to? because I know the team would love for you to join... I know I would" She cuts me off smiling at me. Butterflies are forming in my stomach and i can feel my cheeks blush as a smile forms on my face. "No. I would not love to join. I would love to spend more time with you though" I smile at her cheekily and sip in my drink. The burn on my throat slightly bothering me. I walk away from the woman and I cant wait to see whats to come for us.

~ End ofFlashback ~

Y/n's pov:
"Y/n? Do you want gin and tonic?" She asks me again as i snap out of my daze. "Uhm... No thank you... I uh...I think i need to get some air" I manage stutter some words out and walk away. "Wait, y/n" Natasha stands up to try and grab my arm but i shrug her off.

Im standing outside on the balcony alone with my thoughts. When i feel someone come up behind me "Hey... whats wrong?" I turn around to see Natasha looking at me frowning. "Nothing." I quickly reply and turn away from her. "Come on, y/n I know you... and I know when somethings wrong... so what is it?" I keep my back facing her so that she cant see the hurt expression on my face but she grabs my arm turning me around staring into my eyes. I quickly back away from her "Come on... Just cause we broke up doesn't mean you cant talk to me. Ill always be here for you y/n and who knows maybe I understand what you're going through and can give you some advice" I tilt my head to the right with an obviously annoyed expression on my face.

"Understand what Im going through? Natasha you will never understand what Im going through. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you, grow old, have kids. God I was in love with you!" I take a breathe and continue while Natasha just stands there in shock. "Im wide awake every night just thinking about what I did wrong and what I could've done to make you stay as if I was the problem! So you wanna give me advice? Help me out? Ok answer this Nat. What am I supposed to do when the best part of me was always you and what am I supposed to say when Im all choked up but you're ok. How do I get over you? Please if you know just tell me. Ive tried hating you, Ive tried forgetting about you but nothings working. Cause you've moved on and you're ok and I wanna be happy for you I really do but I cant pretend like you and I are friends... I cant pretend like you didn't break my heart." We stand in silence for a while when Natasha speaks, "Y/n... I do understand. These past 2 months have been so hard and-" "So hard? Oh Boo hoo you have a hot boyfriend and you're no longer stuck in a relationship that you don't wanna be in. How sad." I say mocking her  when I notice her fists are starting to clench. "Hey! I lost you too ok. You were my best friend and you just left... you disappeared!" Her words only set me off even more. "I disappeared? As if you didn't just pack your bags one day and leave me? I waited for you for days. I sat there staring at the door just praying to God that you would come back. Do you know how pathetic it is to sit infront of a door for 3 days not wanting to keep you're eyes away from it for the slight possibility that you would be on the other side. I don't give a flying fuck if you lost me. You made that choice to lose me when you broke my heart." She just stands there not saying a word and just staring into my eyes.

"Why the hell do you care anyway? Just go back in there with Mr. America" She looks at me confused. "Y/n... If this is about Steve-" "No Nat this Isn't about Him. Just stop it ok. Stop pretending like you care and just fucking leave. Thats what you're good at right?" I cut her off hissing at her. In trying my hardest not to make a scene but my anger towards her is making this hard. "Y/n... I..." Theres an awkward silence and I turn to leave but she grabs arm "Im so sorry." Her eyes staring into mine. "Yeah well you should've thought about that before you pretended like you loved me" I turn away from her to try and walk back in the building but she shouts at me "I never pretended like I loved you. I did love you y/n" I turn to face her again except now theres a much wider space between us "Yeah... Just not enough to stay" and with that I turn away from her for the last time and walk out of the party.

- 3 Months After the Party -

Y/n's pov:
Its been 5 months since Nat and I broke up and I think Im doing much better. I miss her sometimes and every where I look Im just reminded of her but the sting when someone mentions her name and the ache in my chest when i remember our time together was no longer there. I finally let her go.

------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys! So I had a lot of different ideas i was contemplating taking this story on but in the end i decided to just make its a normal break up where two ppl go on their separate ways.

Also i made the last line "let her go" bec the title of the series was Hold On but they didnt actually Hold On idk i think it was smart lol.