Voicemail (2)

Nat's pov:
I wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of my phone ringing beside me. As I pick it up i see its just an unknown caller and for some reason even if the words say unknown I know exactly who's at the end of that line. I contemplate whether or not to answer while I just stare blankly at the phone. *ring* *ring* *ring*... *beep* I don't say anything and just continue to look at the phone. After a few moments of silence i hear another beep and a notification that I have a voicemail. Usually I would have picked up immediately. Usually I would have listened to the voicemail. But there's nothing usual about this. I decide to just go to bed and worry about it in the morning but for some reason i cant fall asleep. I lay in bed staring blankly at my ceiling remembering my final moments with Y/n.

~ Flashback ~

Nat's pov:
The team starts grilling me and y/n on our relationship of course Tony is the one who started it. "A little birdy told me he saw you sneaking out of y/n's room last night." He spoke in his usual condescending but charming voice. "Well, I should say Spider" He added. I noticed Y/n is avoiding eye contact and staring directly at the ground and I just glare at Parker which makes him nervous. "Actually I- I was mistaken... I didn't see anyone and technically... it- it was pretty dark... so uh it... it could've been anyone!" Stark just looks at Peter unimpressed by his lying skills and I roll my eyes in annoyance. "Why would Natasha sneak out of Y/n's room in the middle of the night?" Steve asks confused, while everyone just laughs at his innocence and surprisingly even Peter laughs.

"Oh will you all just shut up. Its obvious Y/n and I have been spending a lot of time together get over yourselves. Were two grown adults and you guys don't need to know everything about us" Suddenly i could feel y/n's piercing eyes on me. She seemed angry. "It happens to everyone. You hook up with someone and the morning after you regret it. Honestly It was a mistake. Right?" She says looking at me, signaling for me to agree but I don't. I freeze. Her words stung and I felt my heart drop to my stomach. All my years of being alive my relationship with Y/n might be the only thing I don't consider a mistake in any way. We may have kept it a secret but she made me happy and I made her happy. Why would she say this? "Yeah... It was a mistake..." I manage to say hiding my pain. "Uhm you know I think Im gonna go to bed. Movie night was fun but uhm... Im tired so goodnight" I smile at everyone while standing up to leave. The only person I don't smile at is Y/n but shes not looking at me either.

After a while of sitting on my bed in silence. With only one desk lamp on I hear a knock on my door. I assume it y/n so I open the door with a blank expression on my face. "Why'd you do that?" She says to me with the same blank expression I have on. "What do you mean? I didn't do anything." She walks into my room while closing the door behind her and facing me. "You didn't have to tell the team we were hooking up" I look at her in shock and annoyance. "I didn't. That was you. Or maybe you don't remember how you told everyone I was a mistake." We're both now getting pretty heated. "You started it! Why couldn't you have just shut your mouth?" I just stand there not knowing what to say. The pain piercing through my chest. "You know what your problem is Natasha? You don't have a heart. You're physically incapable of anything real-" "Im incapable of anything real? Last time I checked I thought you were my girlfriend but apparently to you Im just some hookup that you regret in the morning." We both stand there out of breathe from screaming at each other. I know the whole team can probably hear us right now. "Im tired." Y/n looks at me raising an eyebrow but still very angry. "What?" She says to me confused "Im tired of fighting for us... when you're obviously just ashamed of me." We stand there in silence for a few moments neither of us wanting yo say whats needs to be said. "Whats the point Y/n?" I could feel the tears forming in my eyes. "What are you trying to say?" She asks as I turn away no longer facing her. "Maybe we should just end this." Theres a silence between us quickly followed by her piercing words "You're right. This isn't worth it." Immediately after I hear her footsteps echo farther from me as she slammed the door. When she leaves I start to break down crying.