Chapter 3

Liam's POV

10:30

"Do you, Liam Nicolai Preobrazhensky, take Katya Petrova to be your lawfully wedded wife, to love and to care for, to cherish and to be with,-"

"Sorry to disturb you dear reverend but, I'm gonna have to decline your offer." I interrupted him. The grasps and the commotion that followed after were quite chaotic.

And from my parent's side, what I was doing at the moment, was both rude and arrogant. My brothers looked at me as if they knew I was dead, my mom like she was ready to bury me, and my father was already mourning my death. It was all too scary.

But for Kat and her happiness, I need to make sure that she doesn't get married to me, period.

"I'm afraid marrying her will be nothing but a mistake." I continued. More grasps filling the room.

"Nicolai!" My mom yelled at me. I looked at her and for the first time, I saw the real disappointment in her eyes. I mean, she could get angry at me, but that was your day-to-day normal type of thing. But today was different. It was a different kind of disappointment. The kind I knew that it broke her heart.

"Mama..." I muttered, I looked down and I started playing with my hands. I did this when I was nervous. My brothers knew it. It was worse if I started having anxiety attacks. And it all started that one fateful day. The day my childhood best friend lost his life.

But that's another story for another day. Right now I had to get out of here with a proper explanation that didn't leave Katya with a humiliation that was beyond repair. I had to take the blame for her to still marry. And the only way I could do that was if I had committed some awful sin. And the only thing that could make sense was if I acted as though I was married.

I mean, I can't marry if I'm already married. That was against the law in any place and it was gonna work. I was sure of it. Now I just had to execute it right.

"Nico, what are you doing?" Alek hissed.

I looked at him and I smiled. But it wasn't my mischievous smile. But it was a sad one, and he knew I was about to take a very stupid decision.

"Don't..." He mouthed, shaking his head.

"что это?" (what is this?) Katya's mom stood up and went straight to her daughter who had just stood there stoically.

" Well, I..." I began to stutter.

"Николай, тебе лучше дать хорошее объяснение, сын." (Nicolai, you better have a good explanation son.) My dad started.

I looked at Katya, and tears just started falling on her cheeks. But still, she stood there, willing for me to explain. I think in a way she knew I was gonna mess up. But not in front of other people, no. Not in front of the press and certainly not in front of her parents. There was a certain level of respect Katya carried for her people even when she couldn't do what she wanted when it came to who she was gonna marry. It was always business, and right now, this was bad for business, and Kat didn't want to be a part of all that.

But here we were.

With Kat in the middle of it all. Well, she was the only one ready to kill me anyway. Vladimir was shocked and Matt was looking betrayed as if he played for a fool. I mean, it's not like this is something I haven't been thinking about for some time now. And to think they would think I would go through the wedding is beyond me. But I know they all wanted me to stop the wedding somehow.

But this plan, this one wasn't it. Maybe I should have eloped by myself to Vegas and come back with a wife. That way I wouldn't have to explain myself. Or better yet, get someone to play wife to get my parents off my back. But no, here I am, with crying Katya, the
Preobrazhensky brothers ready to eat me, my parents, ready to bury me and my in-laws, probably thinking of cremation.

Well, here goes nothing.

"Я не могу выйти замуж, если я уже замужем." (I can't marry if I'm already married.)

At this, my mom just stumbled back, life drained out of her face. But if I stopped now, it would go down the drain. So I had to continue. For Katya, I reminded myself. For her happiness.

"Mama, I've been trying to tell you I didn't want to marry and-"

"You should have told me you were married Nicolai!" Her voice not giving in to her perplexed face.

"You should have informed us son." That was all my dad had to say.

Matt pulled me to the side, ready to throw a few punches on my face, and before he could start lecturing me, I beat him to it.

"I'll explain later. Right now I need to get out of here. Minimize the media for Katya and her parents and ensure a safe pass for mine." I held his hand, seriousness written all over my head.

"You better have a good explanation after this, or I swear, I'll end your life in a split second." His voice was laced with threat and I knew he wasn't lying.

"Fine, fine. But I have to survive this first and get a wife that will stand as a substitute." I hissed.

"You are in deep crab. A wife? What in tarnation were you thinking?" He shook his head and he let off my hand turning towards the audience.

Katya and her parents were all quiet and shocked at what just happened and I guess they were processing what was going on. My parents were ready to have me for dinner, and I was ready to get off that church.

The church itself was in chaos and the more I stood there, the more I realized that if I needed to breathe for a second more, I had to get out of that building.

So I looked at Katya one more time, and I mouthed an apology. I smiled a little and I turned to my parents, smiled at them, and I walked out of that church hoping I wouldn't faint midway through.

Now, where will I find a wife?

**************************************************
My people.

I have a habit of starting books that I never seem to finish and maybe this will be one of those endeavors. But this book has been close to my heart for some time and I know I will finish it.

So far what do you think of my characters, the plot, and everything in between?

I love you lots🌺🌺🌺