ꦼ ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ

PROLOGUE: Entering the Remote City at Dark

Right now it is early winter, the skies is only just brightening up. Shrouded in mist, the world is rendered a pale white, feeling particularly cold as it is covered in a haze, the already remote city, appears to be increasingly desolate.

"Brother Sun Er, Brother Sun Er." by the city gates, stands someone in a soldier outfit, a young man holding a lantern. With thick brows, big eyes, giving the impression of someone who is upright and honest. His breath can be seen as he calls out towards the soldiers pavilion at the edge of the city gates.

Not long after, a middle aged man walks out from the soldiers pavilion. Once his chubby and slightly bloated face sees the youngster at the gates, he smiles, "And here I was wondering who it was, Xiao Su-ah, coming here so early, are you taking the next shift?"

The youngster laughs in an honest and straightforward manner, "That's right. Brother Sun Er, holding up a whole night's shift, you must be tired now. Quickly return home, Sister in law should already be boiling hot water, waiting for you."

Sun Er cheerfully waves, saying: "Xiao Su, amongst all the gate watching soldiers, you are the most warm-hearted. Look at you, you still have an elderly mother at home waiting for you to care for her, what've you come to the city gates so early for? It's a really chilly day, it's still too early to leave the city gates."

The youngster walks up to the soldiers pavilion. Placing down the lantern, he turns his head, saying to Sun Er: "Brother Sun Er, I've brought two flasks of wine. You have some, the weather is so cold even the ground is frozen. Have some to warm up your body."

"Only you, this brat, understands me. Wine is such a great thing, ah......"

The youngster takes out a small gourd from his chest, pa.s.sing it to Sun Er. Sun Er accepts it, it's still hot. He happily laughs, quickly drinking two mouthfuls. Placing down the wine flask, his face livens up, "Xiao Su, this wine really isn't bad. It's been a while since I drank such tasty wine. Where did you work to get this?"

The youngster embarra.s.singly scratches his head, saying: "A few days ago, I happen to run into General Lin when I was watching over the gates. He had conveniently tossed it to me."

This little city is a place that's not abundant with fish and rice, nor is it a military site, but is one of the Country of Qi Ling's most remote city. Usually, other than the place's officials, essentially no seventh ranked officials or above would visit here. Yet last month, a senior official from the capital had actually come, the country's warlord, nicknamed "Wall of Qi Ling" General Lin Rui En, turning the entire city into a hectic mess. The General had come for the day and left accordingly, even so, he left the commoners within the city something talk about for the next year.

"So it's General Lin, ah." Sun Er's expression looks overwhelmed with a thousand emotions, "His age is not far off from yours, but has already become a dignified general, truly a young hero."

"That's right, also good tempered, with no officials' att.i.tude, really is a great general."

Sun Er drinks another two mouthfuls, squatting by the door of the soldiers pavilion, his body flushing with heat, with the mention of General Lin, he grows talkative, "Speaking of which, back then it really was the era of young heroes. Right now, those who hold most power within the capital, whether it is Prime Minister Lou who has the regime in hand, or General Lin who has large numbers of troops under him, they are all around the same age as you Xiao Su. They all say that the current Emperor has just had his second son[1]last year, all are young heroes."

"Prime Minister Lou is also this young? I remember that he has also been a government official for a good few years now." Xiao Su responds in confusion.