ꦼ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛᴇᴇɴ

CHAPTER 18: Moved Feelings

The beauty of the Capital, is best reflected when the sun descends, a scenery of sunset glow, colourful and magically changing, particularly with the colour of red prominent, like the spreading of light ink in water, rendering half the sky, deep and heavy, breathtakingly spectacular, together with the grandeur of the tall red walls of the imperial palace, a display of extremely honourable glory, with the tallest Ning Kun Palace as focal point, extending a stretch into the net of Capital glory, within such solemnity, a trace of long honoured historical flavour is revealed, within such desolation, a display of profound influence overflows with the deeply rooted air of imperial power.

The descending sun like blood......

In the evening hours, having finally arrived at the Capital City, Gui Wan steps down from the horse carriage, looking into the distance at first glance, what she sees is the Capital City as such, her heart suddenly jumps, gazing into half a sky of rosy clouds, the bright red of the setting sun.

Unexpectedly, coming to welcome them at the eastern gates is actually Prince Duan and his party. In purple-gold python robes, jade belt and brocade boots, Prince Duan walks over in big strides, a friendly smile hung on his usually stern looking face, seeing Lou Che, Lin Rui En, he actually looks as though he has not seen his good friends for a long time, who could possibly think from seeing such pa.s.sionate appearance that they each actually hold their own share of great power, and can become political enemies at any given time?

"Prime Minister Lou and General Lin has finally returned, without Prime Minister Lou and General Lin, this Capital City has practically gotten a little too cold and cheerless." Heartily laughing as he nears them, Prince Duan appears to be filled with a tremendous amount of lament.

"With Prince Duan here, how could the Capital possibly be cold and cheerless?" Such statement escapes his thin lips as though praising, as though ridiculing, Lou Che sits on the horseback, condescendingly looking down at Prince Duan.

Prince Duan acts as though he did not hear the tone hidden within his words, the smile on his face not at all faltering, he turns to Lin Rui En, "General Lin has worked hard, his majesty is singing high praises for you, General Lin truly does not fall short of being our country's rarely seen military talent."

The cold general indifferently nods his head, "I daren't be worthy."

Knowing that he is originally someone cold by nature, his overly simple use of four words does not bother Prince Duan at all, Prince Duan is talking cheerfully and humorously today, acting very friendly, he greets Gui Wan who had just gotten off the horse carriage: "Madam Lou's elegant demeanour remains the same, I am very fortunate indeed."

Gui Wan slightly performs a courteous bow in greeting, returning a smile, displaying impeccable etiquette and elegance, whilst hiding the shock of seeing Prince Duan's warm welcome, inevitably suspicious of his reason for coming here. Smiling as she looks away, she suddenly catches sight of a clear shadow within the accompanying officials. Having not seen this youth for over two months, he seems to have changed a lot, a humble att.i.tude as he cautiously stands in a row of blue amongst the red official robes, against a background of stained red skies, all their faces seem to blur, sinking into the shadows of the sunset.

Prince Duan and Lou Che, Lin Rui En, the three people side by side as they head into the imperial city, Gui Wan transfers to a simple horse carriage and follows behind, the rest of the government officials stands in waiting. Just when the carriage pa.s.ses by the officials in rank order, the young first ranked scholar could not help but to look over, he looks into the carriage, face revealing a sincere smile, that sort of air of innocence and incisiveness once again returning to his body, refreshing just like the clear mountain springs.