ꦼ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ

CHAPTER 30: Sieging Of Du Cheng (Part One)

Vaguely hearing a burst of bustling noises, Gui Wan opens her eyes, black coloured bed frame, light blue veiled curtains, a room that appears unfamiliar but is by all means neat and tidy. Her memories like a tidal wave, bits and pieces surging up into her mind, she hums a sound, sitting up, a string of bell-shaped gla.s.s is hung on the window eaves, the warm southerly breeze whisking though, sounding a clear ringing of ding-ling, hearing it through the window, it is exceptionally melodious.

Properly dressing herself up, she slowly paces to the window, pushing it open, the cold air comes rushing to her face, but only helps to freshen up her spirits.

There is the occasional racket outside the window, also mingled with the Nu language that she does not understand, constantly reminding her, this place is a little remote city in the northern region––Du Cheng (Governor City), and is not the prosperous Capital[1].

This area is already far from the Capital’s watch……

“Madam––” Lou Sheng respectfully sounds a low calling from the doors, immediately followed by a few rhythmic knocks.

“Come in.”

The doors open, entering a middle-aged woman, face of amiable kindness, her hands holding a basin of steaming water, greeting as she walks in: “Madam, you have just gotten up ah, with the air chilly, ground frozen, you can catch a cold with the windows open……”

Hearing her long-winded talk as always, Gui Wan faintly smiles, looking out the doors, Lou Sheng is indeed stood outside the room, face expressionless. The woman helps Gui Wan take care of her appearance with nimble hands and feet, whilst mumbling, such a beautiful person yet always dressing up like a man. Combing up a simple men’s hairstyle, the woman looks at Gui Wan as she sounds a few tuts, turning around to tidy up the room, hands working nonstop, her mouth, also working nonstop all the same, muttering interesting stories about her parents in the east, and family in west, her words rushed and fast, endlessly talking to herself, also accompanied with a few giggles.

Escaping from her grasp with great difficulty, Gui Wan hurriedly heads out the room, leaving the woman alone in the room to tidy things up, still hearing the chattering coming from the room, she could not help but to sigh in relief towards Lou Sheng: “Even more formidable than Ling Long……”

Lou Sheng was first stunned, and then reveals a slight smile.

Closely following Gui Wan as she heads outside, having just walked out the big courtyard, the people outside the alley, one by one came enthusiastically greeting them, the neighbouring Aunt Li, the fruit seller Zheng San, the one who loves to boast around all day Brother w.a.n.g……watching Gui Wan respond to each and every one of them, Lou Sheng wordlessly remains silent, if not for the current pressing situation, Madam as the dignified wife of the country’s Prime Minister, how would she possibly come in contact with these ordinary people of the general public? ……but every time he sees Gui Wan’s smile like sunrise merged within, he would also feel somewhat captivated, his intuition tells him such change may not necessarily be bad, but where exactly does the problem lies, a boorish fellow like him is unable to answer this.

Over half a month ago, half way here after leaving the Capital, they were blocked up at a check stop set up by Guan Xiu Wen’s deployment, fortunately, the horse carriages of the Prime Minister Estate were divided into three ways, diverting their interception, they doubled their speed across the starry night, horse running nonstop, and finally arrived at this most remote city in the northern region, the current peace, after the b.u.mpy road of parting, feels so precious……