ꦼ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ

CHAPTER 9: The Beauty In The Painting

"Prime Minister Lou...Prime Minister Lou..." Sounds of callings reaches his ears, Lou Che halts his steps, turning his head towards the cries. An elderly man dressed in a blue robe hurriedly runs towards him. He seems to be the old minister of three generations (served three Emperors), the late Emperor's extremely trusted Minister of Personnel, Yan Gang. Carrying a gentle smile, unmoving like a mountain, Lou Che waits for him to close in.

Once he reaches him, out of breath, Yan Gang's face appears red due to the sprinting, yet he still speaks ever so cheerfully: "Prime Minister Lou, I heard that the new First Ranked Scholar is your star pupil?"

Lou Che nods with a smile, seeing his breathing settle down, he walks towards the imperial court with prideful strides, behind him, Yan Gang hastily follows after him, continuing to exaggeratedly praise: "A man endowed with such extraordinary talents, it's quite like the you from back then, truly a hero amongst the youth." Thinking of the appearance of this new First Ranked Scholar, typically comparable to none, Yan Gang was filled with emotions, this is the age of young and talented......

Hearing him sound a sigh, Lou Che understands his thoughts, saying: "Yan is still ever so capable[1], why the sigh?"

Hearing the words "still ever so capable", Yan Gang could not help but to cheer up, "How so ......this is the new generation's world now......" invariably sighing, he suddenly remembers a matter of crucial importance and hastily speaks up, "Prime Minister Lou, do you by chance, know the Nu's emissary has already arrived at the Capital yesterday? He shall be entering the palace to meet his majesty today."

Lou Che lightly raises his brows, letting out one simple sound: "Oh?"

Seeing that he seems to be unaware of this matter, Yan Gang hurriedly explains: "The Nu and our country has fought for many years, and the war has never really stopped, but this time, it sure is strange, the Nu has actually sent an emissary here with good intentions, is there some sort of hidden meaning in this?" He has not slept all night, all due to his concerns towards this matter, today, he hurried over to the imperial court, desperately looking for Lou Che to discuss this.

Lou Che was also somewhat surprised upon hearing this, the Nu requesting a peace treaty, has not necessarily never happened before, but having just captured the Nu's Prince as hostage half a year ago, they had originally thought that, the Nu who are most faithfully committed towards grace and revenge, would exact their revenge without any restraint, who would have known that after such a long silence, they would actually come and request peace? Vaguely feeling that something is not right, but in this moment, unable to pick out the hidden meaning, Lou Che continues to faintly smile as he says: "This matter shall come to a clear understanding when we see his majesty in court."

Yan Gang nods his head, and both people enters the main hall at the same time.

Practically all the civil and military officials have already gathered here, the court buzzing with discussions. Before the Emperor arrives, everyone freely speaks their minds whilst discussing. Seeing Lou Che arrive, the discussions quietens down a lot, one after another, nodding their heads in greeting, if not, they will be deeply bowing towards him. Lou Che heads towards the area closest to the dragon throne.[2] Suddenly catching glimpse of a figure in crimson red, standing right at the most northern side of the large hall. It is the new First Ranked Scholar, Guan Xiu Wen. Guan Xiu Wen seems to have also sensed Lou Che's gaze and turns to see him, he respectfully lowers his head, greeting "Teacher", his voice neither loud nor quiet, just about good enough to be heard by Lou Che.

Lou Che vaguely sounds an "en", not saying a single word, his steps does not falter as he walks towards the centre of the hall, standing below the dragon throne, on the left side, standing side by side with Prince Duan.