ꦼ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

CHAPTER 23: In The Dark

[Flowers on] luxuriant branches easily descends one after another, [I want to] discuss with budding flowers to open little by little.[1] (All flowers bloom so brilliantly so that when time pa.s.ses by they can urgently descend to the ground. If that is the case, I would like to discuss with the budding flowers, is it possible to bloom a little slower)

“It’s already springtime again.” The slender figure in front of the window lightly says as though sighing, Gui Wan sits leaning on the felt covered long chair (chaise lounge), gazing out into the spring air brilliantly overflowing in the courtyard, speaking out in utter boredom.

Time flies so fast, nearly half a year flashed by, how is she to not be filled with emotions, in a blink of an eye, has the “Changes of Feng Shan” already pa.s.sed by for so long now?

Gui Wan takes her hand out from the snow fur, resting it on the window sill, having just come in contact with it, a heart penetrating coolness charges up her arm, slightly shrinking back, she could not refrain from inhaling the cold air, it is still so frost cold, just like that day, by the pond when she asked Lou Che, is he lying to her as well, the feeling from that faint smile he responded with, is exactly the same. Such smile, really makes people feel the ghostly chill from within their bones.

Half a year ago, the besieging of the Prince Duan Estate failed to catch Prince Duan, as though he suddenly disappeared from the Capital. Although rumours later stated Prince Duan has appeared in the areas of Nan Jun and Luo Ling, but because there were no evidence, the matter was put to a rest. As for Lou Che, whilst many thought he wanted to tilt the power balance within the imperial court to his side alone, actually fell tremendously short from everyone’s expectations as he suddenly enters a tranquil state, other than attending the court a.s.sembly every day, he practically showed no concern towards the affairs of the state.

“Exactly what is he planning to do?” The doubts within her heart is spoken out loud, Gui Wan knits her brows, thinking about the question that has been troubling her for a long time. This past half of the year, Lou Che has practically used half of his time on her, whatever can be seen, whatever can be toured, whatever can be played, he has been accompanying her in all these recreational fun, even towards Consort Ying’s loss of favour, he did not even show any concern.

Lou Che becoming uncaring towards all of the state affairs, is this really him wanting to spend days like an idle cloud and wild crane?[2] Gui Wan spouts out hot air, her pressed lips actually hooking up into a smile, as if ridiculing, as if sighing. On the surface, Lou Che is a gentle and wave-less pool, like the spring breeze brushing past, but underneath this pool, whether it is of stormy seas or rapids across the reefs, no one knows.

“If you wish to deceive another, you must first deceive yourself” this phrase, Gui Wan seems to have heard it from somewhere before, when it first drifted by her ears, she forgot all about it, thinking about it now, it is rather interesting.

The wind blows behind her, before she turns her head, Ru Qing’s voice sounds: “Madam, there is a guest requesting an audience outside.”

Retracting the already slightly frozen hand, Gui Wan silently sighs, him again. This past half of the year, he has come numerous times, sometimes bringing new strange treasures, sometimes chatting around for a half a day, sometimes rushing here, with no purpose, sitting down for a moment, drinking a cup of clear tea, and leave feeling extremely satisfied.

She is finding it increasingly hard to see through him now, in her memory, he still seems to be that refreshing and frail youth, but looking at his doings this past half of the year, it seems like reality has already far left her memories.