ꦼ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғɪᴠᴇ

CHAPTER 5: The Imperial Palace’s Grand Banquet (Part One)

Autumn pa.s.ses, with spring flowers and wild cuckoos peacefully maintaining the otherness within the earthly realm.

The autumn wind blows, and although the view of lotus flowers in the pond has long gone, with the autumn air gradually thickening, the maple leaves floats down onto the pond, bringing with it its own distinctive charms, a ma.s.s of scarlet floating above the water, occasionally making little turns. When she had returned last night, she did not notice the fall of the maple leaves, could it be that they have fallen overnight? Unaware that the flowers of yesterday have already withered away, today other worries occupies her mind.

She had done the right thing right, it wasn’t wrong of her? He is originally the enemy of the Celestial Empire, had she let the tiger return to the mountain, perhaps more people will be put to sacrifice in future, if thinking this can calm her uneasy heart in the slightest bit, she shall continue to tell herself this, she is not in the wrong.

“Gui Wan.” That gentle, considerate voice calls out from nearby, such warming voice, can only be her husband.

Slowly turning her head, she sees Lou Che walk in from the corridor, as though he was revealing himself in the mist, suddenly, she thinks back to these past few days, all that has happened really feels like a dream, like smoke like mist. A smile floats to the surface of her face, “My Lord Husband, back from the court’s a.s.sembly?”

Such illusive smile, was the first he had seen. Returning last night when it was almost sunrise, the first thing she says when she sees him was filled with loss and exhaustion: “I’m back, so tired~.” He doesn’t know what she had been through these past few days, she says nothing, he asks nothing, although vaguely knowing that she had used quite a number of spies and guards, he had already promised her, her matters, he will not delve in, he needs only to cover for her.

Filled with tenderness, Lou Che picks up the neglected bowl that was left on the corridor, seeing that its contents were left completely untouched, he inquires: “Why are you not eating the soup, does it not suit your taste?”

“It’s I who doesn’t have the appet.i.te,” Gui Wan smiles, the look in her eyes flickering, lips slightly parted, looking as though she’s struggling with something. After a long while, she asks: “Did anything big happen in the imperial court.”

He looks at Gui Wan in surprise, responding with a hint of wonder and exploratory, “I didn’t know you were also interested in the state affairs.”

Hearing this, Gui Wan says nothing. Lou Che watches her, he just gets the feeling that the her today, has many words that she has yet to say, her entire person appearing to be at loss, contradictory, there’s also this sense of unspeakable melancholy, unable to bear this, also pitying the look of confusion in her eyes, he gently says: “Something big did indeed happen in the imperial court,” Noticing Gui Wan reveal a hint of interest in his words, he continues to speak, “It is reported that General Lin was hunting down the Nu’s prince yesterday. In the end, he had let him slip away.”

Gui Wan lifts her head, confirming one more time: “Slipped away?”

“En, was originally already a bird in the net, who would have known that halfway there, the Nu people charged out in rescue, allowing him to escape.” His words were not spoken without regret.

Gui Wan gathers up her mixed feelings within a moment, the vivid happenings of yesterday in her head. In fact, she is not a cold blooded person, so she too felt perplexed, concerned, conflicted. Ye Li is the enemy of her homeland, is the Nu’s important commander, his death is the wish of countless people within the Celestial Empire, what she did yesterday is completely correct, but hearing that he had escaped just now, the big burden in her heart has dissolved. She did not kill him. Perhaps subconsciously, she was also hoping that she did not indirectly, or even directly, got him killed, hoping that she did not get involved in this kind of foul wind and rain of blood (bloodshed).