ꦼ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪx

CHAPTER 6: The Empress’ Tears

Woodlands [after the rain and snow] unveils a bright blue sky, evening comes and the city grows increasingly cold.[1]

In a blink of an eye it is already the heaven’s recording of the second year. This year a downpour of rarely seen heavy snow falls upon the Capital, displaying a rare good omen, perfectly responding to the phrase “a timely snow promises a good harvest”, the unfortunate thing is, at the beginning of the new year, a sensational matter has occurred in the Capital. When the Emperor was praying for good fortune this coming year, within the Hu Guo[2]temple, a monk suddenly says, the current Consort Ying is “the country’s source of misfortune”, in a moment of rage, the Emperor beheaded the monk, only after did he find out, this monk is extremely famous amongst the common folks, Master Zhi Kong who had been nicknamed “Buddha Monk”, within a moment, the Capital went through a constant change of events[3], everyone was constantly chatting about the matter with one another.

This matter seems to not have affected the Prime Minister Estate in the slightest bit, due to the fact that there has recently been the additional arrival of a madam to this estate, the place appears to be exceptionally lively. The heavy snowfall covers the ground, blanketing it in white, the Prime Minister Estate is decorated with lanterns and silk streamers, such liveliness is extraordinary. Inside the estate’s courtyard, an old man dressed as a housekeeper, steadily strides forth, marching over towards the room in the west wing, to see the doors closed is rather unexpected, he steps forward, rhythmically, he calls out: “Gentleman Guan, Gentleman Guan……”

The doors open in response to the noise, a young gentleman walks out of the room, in a dark blue silk robe, with long brows and bright eyes, looking refined and handsome, carrying a friendly smile, he exudes an unconceivable sense of refreshing luxury, even the housekeeper who had read countless people before was full of endlessly unspoken praises for him, greeting him respectfully with a bow, “Gentleman Guan, plum wine is being boiled in the front courtyard today, our Lord Prime Minister and Madam has invited you to the front courtyard.”

Guan Xiu Wen has been in the Prime Minister Estate for two whole months already, thinking back to two months ago, it really is just a like a dream, gently nodding towards the housekeeper, he says: “May I trouble Housekeeper then.” Casually closing the door, he follows the housekeeper towards the front courtyard.

Encountering the maidservants and nannies along the way, there was no one who did not respectfully greet him, and Guan Xiu Wen would always respond with a smile, the housekeeper was filled with sincere appreciation, the entire estate knows, Madam had brought back a gentleman in his twenties from the palace, no one knows what background he had come from, Madam says he is a diamond in the rough, not long after, even Lord Prime Minister praised his talents, accepting him as his student, and even predicted that, in the spring of this year, he will pa.s.s the exams with flying colours. Having been a housekeeper for many years, Lord Prime Minister’s words have never been wrong.

This man will be the future First Ranked Scholar[4], he raises his eyes to look at the person beside him, what’s even more rare is, he is never arrogant, always friendly and respectful towards others.

The two people had just walked up to the entrance of the front courtyard, when they see Lou Che walk towards them, both of them stop in their tracks, Lou Che draws in, his face carrying a smile like that of the spring breeze.

Guan Xiu Wen had already bent down to bow respectfully, his mouth calling out: “Teacher.” Seeing Lou Che’s slightly hasty look, he could already guess that he must be going into the palace, inside, he could not help but let rise a feeling of repellence, using the action of bowing his head, he squints his eyes ever so slightly, camouflaging the trace of disgust revealed in his eyes.