ꦼ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ

CHAPTER 21: Not A Lotus

I am not a lotus, the lotus is born in mud and is not tainted, washes clear and not demonic, and I, was not born in mud yet already tainted in a body of dirt, officialdom is of chaos, only the white lotus can survive, therefore I am not a lotus, already tainted by demons.

The pouring rain smoothly runs, each drip extending endlessly, the sound of pattering drifting across the entire Capital City, four honoured guests arrives outside the old manor, south of the city, one Jiang Nan silk umbrella, distinguishes the n.o.ble status of the arriving person. The side doors of the manor opens, an old servant probes his head out to glance around, immediately opening the red wooden doors, bowing as he invites the person inside, and then carefully looks around the outer area, once he finds nothing out of ordinary, he quietly closes the doors again.

“Gentleman, you have finally come.” Fiery Xi Shi suffered half a day of waiting for Gui Wan, hurriedly getting up to greet her, one hand holding up the well brewed tea, personally handing it over to Gui Wan’s hands.

The heat warms up her body, a single hand flicking off the traces of rain on her body, Gui Wan turns her head asking: “How has San Niang been recently?”

“Thanks to gentleman’s blessing, everything has been going smoothly.” Fiery Xi Shi was filled with smiles, catching a glimpse of the two maids Ru Qing, Ru Ming behind Gui Wan, she was somewhat surprised, since she had moved to the Capital, this is the first time she has seen the two following Gui Wan. Ru Qing, Ru Ming slightly nods their heads, counting that as a greeting, because of their inadequate protection last time, resulting in losing Gui Wan, they had received severe punishment upon returning to the Prime Minister Estate, following Gui Wan again this time, they dare not to show any negligence at all, like shadows following the figure, alert at all times.

Only after waving her hand in signal to have all the servants withdraw, did Fiery Xi Shi lead Gui Wan’s party, walking up to the loft, beaded curtains serving as a room divider, fresh and elegant, just like a woman’s bed chambers, leaving Lou Sheng to wait outside, the four women enters the room.

“Gentleman,” Letting Gui Wan sit by the window seat, Fiery Xi Shi turns around and rummages through the bookshelf, picking out a book that looks like an account book, placing it before Gui Wan, reporting in a leisurely manner: “Over the past month, a total of two merchants taking the route from Qu Zhou into the Capital has been purchased and acquired, over twenty warriors has been called upon, amongst them there are three who are of top cla.s.s; over ten literary people have been called upon, four in particular holds great knowledge and bold vision; over ten people from the three religions and the nine schools of philosophy has been called upon, each has their own individual skills. There is also a list of officials that have been won over in there.” All matters, big and small, have all been explained in great detail.

Gui Wan picks up the account book, roughly skimming through two pages, and closes it again, “San Niang’s handling of affairs, I can trust.” Do not doubt the ones you employ, this principle she is well aware of.

“How did gentleman come to worrying your way over here? Why not wait till the rain has stopped before coming?” This “gentleman” has never been urgent nor panic stricken when doing things, as though her mind is absent, she appears to be more initiative this time, towards grasping hold of the dynamic aspects within the Capital City, she seems extremely enthusiastic.

Gui Wan smiles upon hearing this, looking out of the window, she does not answer. Listening to the constant pitter-pattering of the rain, her heart feeling fed up, it has already been over a month, since she has left the palace, yet there has not been the slightest of movement, day after say, like the calm before the storm, waiting for the thunder to clap, yet not a sound is heard, one sound will certainly leave people shocked. That abnormally demonic emperor, how is he most amiable of the generation? Lou Che also seems to have sensed something, sending back Ru Qing, Ru Ming, to protect her at all times, casting a net called “protection” all around her, wanting to have her safely tucked under his wing. Heart slightly warming up, Gui Wan sounds a light sound of seeming lament, seeming sigh. She is not a white lotus, so how is she to grow out of the mud without being tainted?