ꦼ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sᴇᴠᴇɴ

CHAPTER 7: Inauspicious Calamity

In heaven's recording of the second year in spring, the case of "Hu Guo Temple" has finally settled, because the case had no empirical evidence, in the end they could only let the matter rest. However rumours circulating, implicated that the matter concerns the Empress, after attesting the case, the Emperor substantially reduced the officials on the Elder Statesman's side, thus causing the entire court to discuss the matter. In contrast, the power of Consort Ying's maiden family had been consolidated, under such diminishment, the glory of the Elder Statesman's Estate is no longer like the past. (Elder statesman refers to the Empress' father)

"At least the imperial guards have withdrawn from the Empress' palace, her Empress t.i.tle has also been saved, other than that, she can no longer afford to dream of anything else." Under such slender jade-like fingers, the newly grown willow shoots leans towards the nose, a gentle sniff, and sure enough, it indeed carries a refreshing breath of spring air, Gui Wan reveals a faint smile of appreciation, letting go of the willow shoot, she turns her head to ask: "Did nothing else happen?"

The housekeeper lowers his head, his speaking tone remains rigid with no fluctuations, reporting as though he is reciting from a book: "Nothing else has happened, these past two weeks, the most discussed matter outside is the case of the 'Hu Guo Temple'."

"Once matters have been spread around too much, they would get tired, and everything will be alright again." Gui Wan laughingly says, Lou Che has indeed kept his promise to her, the Empress t.i.tle has been protected, the back palace has not been thrown into a chaotic mess. Along with the arrival of spring, everything is developing in a good direction. Thinking up to this point, she could even more so feel a strong sense of derangement.

"What about the Empress, did she show any response?"

"No," The housekeeper calmly speaks, "There has been no response at all, the back palace is already back to the usual."

Placing the willow branch into the flower vase, casually fiddling with it a bit, Gui Wan feels that the big rock in her heart has been lifted. Half a month pa.s.sed after speaking with the Empress, the matter that has been bothering her so much, seems to have been resolved. The corner of Gui Wan's lips curves up, was just about to order the housekeeper to withdraw, when suddenly, she once again feels that something is not right, thinking deeper, the Empress is of graceful and restrained character, but once she says something, she would definitely stick to it, like the typical soft on the outside strong on the inside character. She said she would kill Consort Ying, could she really have given up now?

She wouldn't, she must be waiting......waiting for the best opportune moment, thinking up to here, the image of the Empress' poignant smile seems to have once again flash before her, without realising, the strength in her hand intensifies, and the willow sounds a snap, Gui Wan suddenly lowers her head, looking at the snapped willow, ah such fragility. Her brows knits together, and she turns around, "Send people to monitor the Elder Statesman's Estate, once there is any unusual movement, tell me." The extreme serenity right now, vaguely carries the feeling of a brewing storm, she cannot standby without making any preparations.

Empress-ah, you must not be reckless.......

The housekeeper raises his head, his face showing an unreadable expression, this was the first time she had seen his calm face show a change of emotion, looking at him, she asks: "What's wrong?"

The housekeeper once again lowers his head, all expressions wiped off his face, his answer short and affirmative: "Yes, I will send for people to monitor the Elder Statesman's Estate day and night." This is strange, Lord Prime Minister's orders this morning, and Madam's orders right now, is exactly the same, he does not know whether he should say it or not, just when he wanted to open his mouth to say it, he thinks over it again, in the end he just keeps the words in his mouth.