16

Kao finally showed up in the cafe on his shift four days later. Earth was busy washing the dishes when Boun suddenly tapped his shoulder and informed him with a teasing look on his face saying that his boyfriend had finally revisited.

Earth can't help but roll his eyes at the older's teasing remark, and his hand intentionally splashed a little bit of water at Boun's face in revenge.

Boun's teasing had started a few days ago when he said that he hadn't seen Earth's boyfriend these days. It didn't help that Earth's cheek went red in embarrassment at the title. After that, he was more than happy to start pestering Earth on Kao's identity and whereabouts.

When Earth turned around from the sink, he was surprised to see Kao already seated on one of the sofas sipping a cup of caffe americano in his hand. He thought Boun was messing with him when he said that Kao finally visited again. He hurriedly wiped his wet hands on a kitchen towel and started to head towards the cashier to take over.

Earth turned back to where Boun was still standing at the same spot with a visible smirk adorning his face. Boun had been observing him, and when he was hurrying to head over to where Kao was, it didn't escape Boun's attention. Earth cleared his throat to erase the tiny bit of embarrassment that he had over his little slip just now. He looked at his older co-worker and raised an eyebrow as if daring the older one to comment on his behavior.

Boun chuckled, seeing the half glare and embarrassment that the younger was trying hard not to show on his face. Instead, he pointed his thumb to the clock on the wall behind him, "Your shift ended five minutes ago. You better change your clothes first before heading over to your boyfriend."

Earth glared at Boun's teasing mark, "He's not my boyfriend, Phi Boun!" He hissed to the older one so that no one heard him.

Boun was trying to hide his amusement and was busy gripping the back of the half apron he wore to tone down his urge to laugh.

"I didn't realize that my shift had ended," Earth perks up when he remembered what Boun had said before. He glanced around and found that his other co-worker, who was supposed to shift after him, had arrived already.

"Go, then. I will finish the rest of the dishes," Boun nudged Earth's shoulder and pushed it towards the backroom direction.

Earth started to change his work clothes to the ones he wore when he arrived at work today. He came out of the changing room and was surprised to see Kao no longer on the sofa he last saw the older one on. He sighed dejectedly

Earth walked out of the cafe after waving and saying goodbyes to his co-workers. He was looking down on the road thinking over Kao's appearance at the cafe while he walked. He was forcefully stopped short when he found that someone had tugged the back of his collar. He turned around, ready to spat out some insult of what they did. He was already in a bad mood after he realized that Kao wasn't there for him.

Earth looked at the face of the one who had dared to pull on his collar after the hand had freed him. But a surprised expression was on his face the second he realized that it was Kao who had held him back with an amused look.

"Hi," Earth muttered up.

Kao's face softened, and he ruffled Earth's hair in a good-natured manner, "Hello to you too," he replied. He pulled back his hand and put both of his hands inside the pockets of the grey coat he was wearing.

Earth hadn't had the heart to be angry at the older one for messing his hair and went AWOL on him before today. With a rather dazed look on his face, his hands slowly started to tidy up the mess the older one had made. After a few seconds, Earth seemed to snap back into reality when someone bumped into his back. He turned around towards the person who bumped him.

"Sorry, my boyfriend wasn't looking when he walked backward just now," a guy apologized to him and smacked the one who had bumped into Earth's shoulder.

Earth heard the one who bumped him, mumbling sorry while face red in embarrassment. He giggled at the couple, "It's okay, well, make sure to look at where you are going next time."

After saying another soft apology, the couple left. Earth's eyes haven't gone from their figure; instead, there is a fond expression on the younger one's face.

"They are cute, right, Phi?" Earth asked, eyes still not leaving after the couple's back, especially at the couple's intertwined hands. When he heard no answer from the older one, Earth looked at Kao's face to see an odd look the older one was sporting. He nudged Kao's shoulder with his finger.

Kao looked at Earth's face as if being startled, "Ah, yes, maybe?" He replied, which came out more like a question or because he was unsure of his own answer.

Earth frowned after the older one's answer. Feeling dread at the base of his stomach at the thought of Kao's opinion on homosexuality. Especially at the odd look and the awkward smile, Kao was still sporting.

to be continue

a/n:
A surprise update? A rather long one too.
Reason? I just felt like updating more than once today.
Just for heads up, I already wrote this story until chapter 27, hihi.
Wonder if I can reach chapter 30 before the weekend?

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to leave votes and comments behind!

Updated on the 21st of April 2021,

junijunipers.