17

Earth decided to leave it at that. Maybe someday, he will have the chance to ask about the older one's thoughts on homosexuality, to make sure that there will be no disgust or hatred in Kao's eyes over that matter. He doesn't want to confess to the older one, only to find that Kao was actually homophobic.

Earth's eyes went around to think of a way to change the subject, and then he remembered something. "How have you been, Phi? Were you that busy these weeks to visit the cafe?" He asked Kao with a cheerful tone.

Kao's face seemed relaxed at the change of subject. He smiled, "I've been good. How about you? I was caught up in a business trip my secretary forced me to attend. You weren't skipping class when I wasn't around, right?" He arched an eyebrow to emphasize the last question.

Earth laughed. He started walking again because they were standing in the middle of the pavement and was glad the older one slowly matched his step. "You never told me what work you were doing, Phi. Anyway, I'm good, and no, I would never skip my class because I don't want to lose my scholarship, Phi."

"I'm managing my family business for Thailand's branch. Oh? You've got a scholarship?" Kao asked curiously because they never really talked about personal things after he came back to Thailand. He was quite surprised to learn something new about the younger one.

Earth nodded, "Yes. I was lucky to enter my university through the scholarship. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't continue my education at this time," he smiled bitterly. "Moreover, I still have to pay the debt that my father left beh—" he stopped himself as if realizing that he had just opened up about his financial problem to the older.

Earth's feet stopped abruptly. His mind went blank when he realized that his secret is out now. He wants to blame the atmosphere and his loose mouth for the slip-up.

Kao, startled at the younger one's answer, was more surprised to find Earth frozen in shock. He slowly takes Earth's right hand in his and softly smiled when the younger one's attention was on his face. He brought his other hand to ruffled Earth's brownish lock softly, "It's not luck. You tried your hardest, and that was all your effort paying you back, Earth."

Earth's face assessing the soft look Kao was giving him. He searched for the pity and sympathy on the older one's face closely but found none. He slowly pulled up a smile, and they started walking again.

"Why did you never say anything about your financial situation?" The soft tone of voice that Kao used was like a calm breeze that passed through his ears.

"I don't want you to look at me with pity and maybe because I was ashamed of how my family turned out." Earth smiled bitterly at his own words.

Kao frowned, "You mean your father had left you?"

"Yes, with his new woman right after my mother's death two years ago. If you think the debt was left to me because he was dead, then you're wrong, Phi." Earth can't help, but his little heart wishes his father to come back and take responsibility for him as how a father should be.

"I'm sorry," Kao's hand rubbed a circular motion on Earth's hand.

That was when Earth realized that his hand was still in Kao's soft grip. He internally shook his head at the million questions forming on his head and decided to let it be. When will he get another chance like this?

to be continue

a/n:
I'm so anxious for tomorrow's interview, damn. I can't shake these feelings I have that I will struggle and failed the interview, huhu. I want to bury myself and cancel the interview itself.

Updated on the 23rd of April 2021,

junijunipers.