19

With his face still hidden, Earth was about to wrap his arms around Kao's body to hug the older one back. Then somehow, he stopped in mid-air and had his hands hung. He was feeling uncertain about hugging Kao back or not, but then he finally circled his arms securely on the older one's waist. Throwing away the shillyshally feelings he had and wanting to secretly cherished this moment in his memory.

Earth Secretly observed their figures from the shadow they created on the ground. Kao looked rather thin but long because Earth was bundled up in the older one's coat; Earth just wanted to giggle at the sight of their shadows. Their height difference actually brought Earth's nose's level right into the older's shoulder. The scent that Earth could smell coming from Kao was comforting, and it was the scent of warmth and subtle woodsy scents.

Earth was pondering if Kao's perfume or his natural body odor was smelling when Kao started talking again. Making his attention turned towards the older one's words rather than his head.

"You are not alone. So, don't carry this burden by yourself anymore; I'll be by your side to tell you that repeatedly if needed."

Truthfully, Earth was slightly shocked at Kao's words. He was too taken aback to respond to the older. Instead, he buried his head deeper into Kao's shoulder, feeling lighter as if Kao lifted the burden he had been carrying off of his shoulders upon hearing those words from the man.

Sometimes later, Earth pulled back from the embrace and smiled coyly to the older one's searching gaze. Earth fiddled with his fingers at embarrassment and wants to squeal at happiness on receiving a goddamn great hug of a lifetime from the man in front of him.

"I'm sorry for breaking down in front of you, Phi."

Kao's face got softer, and he chuckled. "You need not worry about it, Earth," Kao ruffled Earth's head affectionately. "I hope you do it more often," at Earth's confused look, he elaborated. "Crying in front of me."

Earth shoved Kao's shoulder with his while he glared daggers playfully at the older one. He giggled when Kao just smiled to his delight.

"I'm glad that you finally opened up to me, it all finally pieced together," Kao said.

Earth looked confusedly into the older ones at the words.

Kao nodded and gave the younger one a soft expression, "I've actually had some suspicions. Especially after looking at your packed schedule for your part-time job despite your busy classes."

Earth sighed and looked down; then, a hand lifted his face by the chin, so their eyes met.

"You don't need to be ashamed or embarrassed by it; rather, I feel proud of you. Not many would still be sane after going through something that you've experienced. You have grown up, Earth." A small smile could be seen on Kao's lips, together with the warm gazes he threw at the younger one.

Wanting to change the sorrow topics, Earth laughed instead. "Said someone who was older and still acts like he was a teenager sometimes," he teased and smiled coyly at the older.

Kao laughed along.

Earth eased his smile and looked at Kao with a serious expression on his face. After a few seconds of thinking things in his head, he gave a small genuine smile to the older, "Thank you," he said shortly and softly—the meaning behind the words echoing behind the back of his head in whispers.

Above all, the most grateful words Earth wants to convey the older one was.

Thank you for coming back.

to be continue

a/n:
I decided to update before I laid down on my bed to read some HP fanfictions. Anyway, I still haven't finished writing this story in my draft yet, even though it has reached its 33rd chapter already.

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Thank you!

Updated on the 25th of April 2021,

junijunipers.