Lay Me Down Chapter 22

VOTE/COMMENT/VOTE/TWEET

ENJOY

 I continued to occupy Carter's arms. I don't know if he was sleep or not but he hadn't said a word since I told him everything that had happened; I hoped that he wasn't angry at me. He was the only person I had and if he was angry at me then you might as well say I had nobody. I knew that what I did was wrong and stupid and I know that I shouldn't have lied to him about it but I was just so scared and ashamed; I didn't want to lose him.

"Carter?" I said in a low tone trying to see if he was awake.

"Yea?" he answered dryly.

"Are you angry?"

It took him a minute before he replied. "Lizzie . . . I'm not angry, more like hurt and disappointed."  

"I'm sorry," I said turning over and facing him. "I was being stupid and I wasn't thinking about how you would feel and how my actions would affect you. Please forgive me?"

"Already been done." 

"Thanks."

"No problem. Come on and get some sleep," he said pulling me closer to him so I buried my face into his chest.

"I know I've told you this before," I mumbled into his chest, "but I'm really glad you didn't give up." 

"Me too," he responded knowing what I was referring to.  I wrapped my arms around his waist and let sleep consume me as I fell deeper to the sound of his lullaby.

"Lizzie, wake up." I groaned and turned over in the sheets. "Lizzie," he said chuckling. "Get up, we got school."  

"I don't want to go," I mumbled as I pulled the covers over my head.

"Lizzie," he said dragging out my name. "Get up and get ready. We got to go."

I didn't budge so he grabbed me by my legs and dragged me out of bed causing me to hit the floor with a thump.

"Carter! You jerk," I said untangling myself from in the covers and getting up, only to see Carter holding his stomach and laughing at me. "It's not funny," I told him as I climbed back into bed.

"Lizzie, come on, let's go." 

"Carter, please? It's Friday. Can't we just ditch?"

"I remember a time when you opposed ditching." 

"Well, I'm all for it right now so I think that you should just hop in bed with me . . . We can cuddle?" 

He laughed, but took me up on my offer as he climbed back in bed with me. I snuggled against him and got as close as possible, sighing with contentment.