Lay Me Down Chapter 16

"Let's go Carter," I said walking faster.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his eyes focusing on where my eyes lay upon earlier. I'm guessing he saw what I saw because he began pulling me to the car in a rush.

"Lizzie! I swear, if you get in that car then I'm calling the police and you know they will make you come home." I stopped dead in my tracks knowing that his words were true. I had ran away before right after it all began and the cops had found me and made me go home. Before, I didn't have the balls to tell them what was wrong and I still didn't have them now. I knew what would happen if I told the cops what was going on.

"Lizzie, come on. Who cares if he calls the cops?" 

"Carter, they will make me go back anyways so why not do it willingly," I told him, already feeling defeated.

"We can tell them what happens, we can tell them what goes on," he tried convincing me.

"That will only put me in foster care. I'm not eighteen yet." He sighed.

"Lizzie, let's go," I heard Keith say, but I didn't want to go. "Your mom misses you and she wants you home." I knew that my mom probably didn't even realize that I was gone and that Keith only wanted me back for one reason. I wasn't even sure if I could do that anymore, I didn't know if I would be able to make it.

"Carter . . . " I said. 

His jaw tensed, "if you touch her or if you make her do anything she doesn't want to do . . . I swear to God . . ."

"I'll come home later but I need to go get my things," I said to Keith.

"Be home by five," Keith stated firmly.

"She'll be there when she gets there," Carter spat.

"Carter, stop," I said, not wanting any problems. "I'll be there," I told Keith. I went and got in the car and so did Carter.

"Lizzie, if you don't want to go, you don't have to."                                                                                   

"Yea, I do Carter," I stated. He gave me a long look before sighing and driving away. We pulled up to his house and walked inside. I began to pack my things with the help from Carter and once everything was done he drove me back to my house. He cut the car off and then  turned to face me.

"Lizzie-"

"Carter," I quickly interrupted, knowing fully well that he would try to get me to come back to his place or to the police, and I really couldn't do that. "I need to go, it wasn't like I could stay with you forever." 

He sighed in frustration. "I'm leaving. I'm going to drop my car off at home and then i'm going to walk back over here, maybe run. I will climb up to your window, so look out for me, okay?"

I nodded, "okay." He grabbed my face and connected his lips with mine. I kissed him back wishing that I could stay with him forever but I knew I couldn't so I reluctantly pulled away. I got out of the car and grabbed some of my bags while Carter grabbed the others. I walked up to the door, opened it and walked up to my room with Carter behind me. It felt so weird being back here and it felt so lonely. I placed my bags down in the corner and Carter did the same. He stepped close and then held my face in his hands.