Chapter 25

3rd POV

Davis couldn't believe his eyes. The once lively Addison he knew looked almost hallowed. Her eyes didn't shine as bright even as she tried to smile and crack a joke. How long has she been alone? Davis couldn't think much of the subject, or more so didn't want to. All he knew is that Jaxon should know how she's doing.

The pack house seemed like an abandoned maze, pack members no longer scurrying the halls trying to avoid their agitated future alpha and his harsh commands to search for Addison. No, there is no need for panic anymore, only celebration. She was home. Yet why did it feel so hallow in this house?

Jaxon looks almost as exhausted as Addison does. The loss of one's mate truly can wear down on a werewolf's soul. But Jaxon was able to distract himself, putting all his energy into finding his best friend and chosen mate. Now that the dust had settled, he no longer has a goal driving him forward, and he hasn't had any time to even see her. Paperwork and pack duties seemed to have snuck through the shadows and bombarded him, and with his father gone it has given him no time to rest.

"Jax!" Gamma Taylor sends Davis a harsh glare for interrupting their conversation, but Jaxon has to hold back a sigh of relief at the welcomed distraction. Jaxon pats his father's gamma on the back, mentally telling him their conversation can be continued at a later time.

"Davis, good you see you man." They greet each other in a welcoming hug as if they haven't seen each other in years. With the tension that events had brought to the table recently, it almost seemed like they never did talk to each other, "I heard you went to see Addison... How- How is she?"

Jaxon can see the hesitation of Davis's face, and he can't tell if it is a good sign of bad sign. So many questions ran through his head. Did Davis still love her? What did they talk about alone in her bedroom? Jealousy pricked his heart.

"Honestly, she isn't doing great Jax. I mean she's talkative and still knows how to crack a joke... but she seems off. When's the last time you went to see her?"

Jaxon knows exactly the last time he got to see her. It was four and a half weeks ago when she was brought home. He could barely look at the tears streaming down her face as she begged her father to let her leave. At first, he stayed distant, slightly hurt how desperately she wanted to stay away from him, but lately he just hasn't had the time.

Gamma Taylor couldn't help but eavesdrop on the two pups' conversation. If Jaxon went to see his daughter now it may be too soon. Yes, it was cruel of him to starve her and her wolf of social interaction, but she needed to think what was best for the pack, and the distance may be just what she needs.

"Alpha, sir, I'm sure my daughter is just fine." He inserts himself between the two boys, fully captivating Jaxon's attention, "She may just be tired. I'll be sure to check on her later. Thank you, Davis, for speaking your concerns."

Davis couldn't recognize the man in front of him. The slightest hint of power had turned the lonely man into a cunning snake. He showed no care towards his daughter, only the power she was going to bring to their name. That can't be all he cared about, right?

As Gamma Taylor made his way down the long hallway, Davis took his chance to whisper his final concerns to Jaxon, "I don't know if what our parents are telling us is true, but all I know is I don't think it's healthy for anyone to be secluded for that long. Just try to see her okay?"

Jaxon nodded at his close friend, and future beta, and wanted badly to see her now. However, the Gamma's lingering presence from down the hall reminded him of the meetings he had today which can't wait.

He was exhausted. Without his father there to assist him, the pack duties seemed to be drowning him. It was late in the night, but his feet seemed to have a mind of their own. Before he knew it, his tired eyes focused on the door in front of him. Not his old bedroom, but his best friend's. He knew it was late at night, but he just had to see her before he could even think about trying to sleep tonight.

The door creaked alerting Addison, who was very much awake. As the shadowed figure entered her childhood room, she could make out the familiar figure, "Xai?" Her tired words didn't quite make sense to her ears but she knew exactly who she was calling.

"Hey, baby. What are doing you up so late?" He kind green eyes shine through the darkness which surround them filling her with pure happiness.

"Where have you been?" Her lips feel heavy as she tries her hardest to smile at her beautiful mate.

He only gives her a small smile, brushing a small strand of her hair away from her eyes, "I'm not coming for you."

Her heart sank at his words, unsure of what he meant. What did he mean he wasn't coming for her? He was right in front of her. "What?"

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you." Like a stone getting thrown in a puddle, my mate dissipates into fading ripples, leaving behind tired grey eyes in its place.

"Jaxon? Are you okay?" Jaxon heart swells at the caring personality Addison has. Even as she looks at him, clearly tired and weak, only caring about his wellbeing. It's like she was made to be a Luna.

"Don't worry about me, look at you," He can't stop himself from reaching out to her, gently brushing her soft pale cheeks, "Why didn't you tell anyone you weren't feeling good?"

Bliss seemed to pass through both of them at the presence of contact with someone else. Addison couldn't stop herself from burying her face into his palm, eagerly welcoming the much needed affection.

Silence grew between them as they relished in the feeling of finally not being so alone. It was a while until Addison finally broke the silence, "I- I'm fine. I'm just tired."

Jaxon can see her smile but can't truly read her. He forces himself to stand, knowing they both need plenty of sleep, "Well, I can let you go then."

"Jax, wait." Her frail hands grasped at his wrist, her hand barely able to wrap fully around him, "Please stay... just for a little bit."

The warmth of her hand sent a new source of energy through him, pushing him to sit with her. As they scoot close to each other, trying to relish in the warmth they brought to each other, they felt content. It surely didn't make them feel whole again, but it was enough for the night.