Chapter 27

Morning couldn't have come soon enough. My bones still feel weak but my mind is already on full alert. My body ready to finally leave this hell hole and save my baby girl. 

I know Xavier feels it too. His body is rigid. Despite the sweat the covers his weakened body and the dark circles under his sickly eyes, he's ready. His dark eyes not leaving the door for one second. Ready to pounce, even if he's in worse shape than I.

The door creaks open and the man that enters isn't who we were expecting at all. No, this isn't even a man. He looks more like a boy. Skinny, shaggy hair, big bug eyes. The way he wobble as if not even sure of his own two feet, he looks like he would be afraid of a mouse. He has to be a new shifter, making him at most 15.

"Well Henry you look different today, knew hair cut?" His hands tremble, holding a small syringe in his shaky hands. The last of the wolfsbane. He looks at my brother, as if ready for him to attack at any moment.

"Where's Henry, kid?" His bug eyes shoot to me, but he stays silent. Poor kid. His gamma was probably desperate for a guard and thought this guy would do. Assuming we'd be weak enough to not be able to fight.

"I believe my brother asked you a question. Where's your pathetic excuse of a gamma? And where's Addison?"

The boy laughs, as if he's suddenly got something over us, "Gamma Taylor is with his daughter, having a tea party or some shit."

"What?" He looks at me and rolls his eyes. What a piece of snot. I hate teenagers.

"He said he found and herb that can sever any bond. He's stirring up some of it now just for your little bitch. Then our Alpha can finally mate with her and we can be strong agai-"

Despite the wolfsbane that still surges through my brother's system, an ferocious growl emits from his throat and he snaps his chains as if they were made of paper. His hands are around the boy's throat in the blink of an eye. He's so blinded by his rage and energy is fully set on finding Addison, I don't think he can process the syringe in the boy's hand.

"Xavier, watch it-" I snap my chains off, but not in enough time. Xavier winces as the boy stabs the needle into his arm, making Xavier release him.

I'm next to the boy in seconds. Wrapping my arm around his head, throwing it into the brick wall in front of us, "Bad move kid."

I should feel bad. Knocking out a young kid who had no business in the trouble his gamma is causing. But I don't waste my time thinking about it. All I can focus on is getting my brother out of here alive, and saving our baby girl.

"Xavier? Hey can you hear me?" I pick him up, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. His head lolls back and forth, as if he's a ragdoll. Dammit. How can we walk out to a place we will potentially need to fight our way through when my brother can't even walk?

We don't have time to waste. Although I'm sure the boy was obviously just being a punk. There's no way there is an herb out there that can sever a mate bond. The only way to do that is through rejection. Right?

Third Person POV

The Pack House is finally feeling just that, a Pack House. All Jaxon needed was a good nights rest, and it seemed that Addison needed that too. Although it will truly never satisfy the two of them fully, it was enough to get the two out of bed in the morning, for Jaxon more so than Addison. But, with the gentle hand he held out for her to take and all the persuasion he could muster, she finally pushed herself to leave the comfort of her covers.

The idea of being able to breath just a hint of fresh air was all the motivation she needed. She tried to hold onto hope that her men would come and save her, but as the weeks grew longer her hope was dimming, making it harder and harder to think about. It was easier for the poor girl to go on auto pilot as Jaxon guided the newly bathed a dressed Addison out of her room.

Her, Jaxon, and Davis all spent the morning together. The time the spent was filled with delicious food and nostalgic memories that brought nothing but laughter to the three. When was the last time they spent their time together like this? It was a taste of youth and freedom they all desperately needed.

Once lunch time came around, Davis offered to cover some of the work Jaxon had for the day. He noticed how lively Jaxon seemed today, finally at peace with Addison by his side. And the poor naïve boy couldn't realize that the smile Addison carried on her lips were a part of her mask she was putting on.

As Jaxon and Davis relished in the thought that Addison was finally home, all she could think about was her mates. She struggled not to shut down at the thought that there was the possibility they no longer wanted her, not even bothering to look for their missing girl. Was she too clingy? Maybe they didn't want to share after all, and each found their own chosen's to keep for themselves? Or maybe she just wasn't enough to keep them happy.

She couldn't think about it. The idea of letting go and slipping into her comfort space was more and more tempting but she knew she couldn't. What would Jaxon think? Or her pack? Let alone her father. They'd lock her up for sure.

As shiver runs down her spine as she tries to focus on the grass beneath her that tickles her calves. Her baby blue sundress doing nothing to protect her from the itchiness the freshly cut grass was giving her. It reminded her of the picnic date her mates planned for her, and how cherished she felt because of it. The only ones she could ever feel comfortable enough in her headspace were her mates, which were nowhere to be seen.

But as her father came waltzing out of the house towards her and Jaxon who were resting at the garden, with a wicked smile on his face, the urge to drift away became stronger.

"I'm glad to see my daughter is finally feeling better! I came as soon as I heard. I made us all a cup of coffee. I was hoping we could all enjoy our drinks and talk."