Chapter 30

"Nobody is going anywhere" I can hardly recognize the man standing in front of me. As he stands ragged, desperate, and alone in the center of the field he looks like a true lone wolf. The look in his eyes is enough to send fear down my spine. He's hungry for power, willing to risk it all even if it's me.

Kai looks ready to kill. I can see it in his eyes. The fury, the bloodlust, full terror directed towards the man I once called my father.

The gun glistens under the setting sun making us all freeze. His hands are shaky, but it's clear he's prepared to use the weapon on anyone who gets in his way. Not that guns could truly injure us, unless of course the bullets are covered in wolfsbane. And if my father was able to get an herb that can hinder a mate bond then I'm sure he has wolfsbane at his disposal too.

"Stand down, Gamma Taylor." Jackson stands tall beside my mate, daring his gamma to defy him.

"Alpha you can't let this rouge take my daughter away. You promised me you would take care of her. Don't let some rogue take away the girl you love!"

Jaxon cringes and Kai lets out a warning growl. Whether the growl was aimed towards my father or Jaxon, I'm not sure.

"Gamma Taylor, she has a mate and we as decent pack members will respect that."

He only laughs a twisted laugh, "She doesn't have a mate. I made sure to give her that choice! And it seems she can't even pick that right."

"You fucker-" Kai is only able to take one step before the air fills with the sound of gun shots. Jaxon's arms pull me out of harms way but all I can think about is getting to Kai.

The sight of his blood dripping from his side and shoulder makes me scream. But the look in his eyes- the terror and pain as he looks at me is brief and soon all I can see is sadness and love. He reaches for me as another shot goes straight into his side again making him fall.

My King. My knights. I'm a princess that has helplessly put her loved ones and her protectors in danger. And may the Goddess pray for anyone who hurts the ones that I love.

A deep war cry breaks past the lump in my throat and I shift into my wolf. I don't even think about taking a breath or planning my line of attack, only putting all of my energy and force into lunging at my father.

His eyes widen and he tries his hardest to aim for my legs in order to stop me. But nothing. Not even the burning bullet cutting past my fur will stop me or my wolf. I will protect my mates, my pack, my home from anything that dares lay a threat against us.

I lock my canines into his forearm and keep my momentum of running past him. He spins with me briefly, then screams at the loss of his limb. Next is the leg. Before I can soak my canines in the side of this pitiful man he's begging for mercy. Crying, screaming for forgiveness. Reminding me who he is and his relation to me. As if being my blood excuses him to do what he has to my life, my future.

"Addison!" His tone is powerful and still has a slight hold to me. The Alpha power radiating through his words draw my attention.

He's slow with his steps. As if he's approaching a feral animal. Is that what I am? I was just about to kill someone. My father of all people. Sure, he has lost all rights to call me his daughter, but is that enough to kill someone?

"I'll take it from here Addie. You take care of Kai." Kai. He's coughing up a storm. Blood gradually spitting through each cough. He groans and winces as our pack doctor removes the bullets with his tools, but the mobility and each groan of pain gives me hope that he'll be okay. Please be okay.

I whimper and make my way to my mate. The wound on his shoulder seems to be trying to heal itself, but not fast enough.

"The wolfsbane in his system is making it more difficult for his body to heal. But, he seems to be of a strong bloodline and his wounds should be healed by the end of the night," The doctor looks at me sympathetically yet relieved, "Addison he's going to be just fine."

Despite the good news my eyes water and I lick his wound, hoping it will help in any way. Kai winces but opens his eyes to look at me.

"Hey Baby," his fingers run through my matted and messy fur slowly filling me with relief, "Let's go home now. Yeah?"

I nuzzle my head into his neck, laying next to him. That's all I want to do. I want to be home. Laying next to my mates. No one injured, only happy and at peace.

Will that ever happen?

A car speeds its way up the property, and Joseph is out the door before the car even fully stops.

"Addison... Kai..." He looks at the two of us laying on the ground. Some of my old and new pack members still surrounding us, as others are cleaning up and helping the casualties.

The doctor fills Joseph in as Kai wheezes out slight grunts of pain. My ears are ringing. Thoughts swarming my brain at a mile a minute. I'm barely phased as they escort me and Kai to the car. Or the fact that Joseph gave me clothes and I shifted. I'm not even sure how I got into the car or that I was in it until Joseph begins to talk.

"He's going to be fine Addie. Believe me, those guys are strong and stubborn as hell. They'd never let anything keep them from being with you."

"Xavier?" I have so many questions. Is he alive? If he healing okay? Where is he? But even the one word feels heavy on my tongue.

Joseph sighs and avoids looking at either of us, "He- Xavier's strong. And he's alive, right now. But, uh, he took a lot of damage. Who knows how long they were being tortured or how hard. He's in a coma... and taking a little longer than we'd hope to heal."

Tortured? Is this why they didn't get me sooner? Because they needed saving too? I'm pathetic. My mind goes numb and the thought of what I put my mates through. They've sacrificed and suffered so much because of me. And what? I can't do anything for myself. My father was right, I couldn't even do the mate thing correctly. Now there's no way that they'll want to deal with such a burden like me. Once, or even if, Xavier wakes up there's no way they'll keep me around. They'll agree I'm too much to handle and send me back for sure.

My mind goes numb at the thought and I can't stop myself from slipping. No. I can't go small. I don't need anyone to take care of me. I can make it on my own. Tears slip from my eyes and one look at the sleeping man in my lap is all it takes to send me into my blanket of safety. 

Ah, oh my gosh these past couple chapters are making me cry. Anyone else?

IMPORTANT!: I'm at a crossroad with Jaxon. I personally love him... what are your thoughts?

I've been thinking that he may be a kinky wolf too, anyone else getting that vibe from him? It's subtle but I feel it.

Would anyone want to see more of him in this book? Or should he get his own story line? Please let me know because that is one thing keeping me from knowing how to move the story from here!

Lastly, I want to thank everyone who has been sticking through with me and this story so far. I know my updating has been inconsistent, and I'm sorry! I've been getting in these weird writer's block slumps but when I see all the readers and your guy's comment and votes it really helps remind me to keep going with it!

Love you all!