Chapter 2

My dad stands tall, his brown hair is cut short and he has no wrinkle set upon his clothes. Instead, every wrinkle I see is set upon his face from frown lines. Ever since my mom passed about seven years ago, he grew cold and serious. I love him, but the pressure he set on my shoulders can be too much sometimes. "Davis's dad said you and Davis are mated. Is this true?" His tone is cold. I don't understand why he's so upset about it.

"Well no..."

"Good." Good? I know he can see the confusion on my face because he continues to explain. "You are aware that Jaxon's mate is no longer in the picture, yes?"

I nod my head. How can he talk like that as if it were no big deal? Jaxon lost his mate. I can barely imagine the agony he must be going through and my dad states it as if we were just discussing the weather, "Well without a mate he cannot become a strong alpha. Usually, if this were to happen the alpha would choose to mate with a beta ranked female, but since Davis is an only child you are the next in line.

Dread settles in my guts. Is he saying what I think he's saying? I back away scared and I can see Jaxon looking at me sadly in the background. "You- you're okay with this?"

Jaxon flinches at my tone, "You were going to give up on your mate anyways. We've known each other for a long time Addison, and if I were to mate anyone I'd rather it be you."

I can't believe he's saying this to me. I mean sure, when we were younger, I had a silly small crush on him, and I knew he did too but as future alpha, he was off-limits and I later fell for Davis. I love Davis. Davis is his best friend as well. Doesn't he get a say in this? The room feels like it's closing in on me. I can't breathe. How can I be a Luna and live every day seeing the pain on Davis's face as he's beta? It could tear us all apart.

I turn around and make my way out the door. I ignore Jaxon's calls and my dad telling him to give me time, assuring him I'll be back and compliant. Who do they think they are? It's one thing to expect me to mate him instead of my mate, but to also expect me to be okay with this even though I already promised myself to Davis is despicable. Am I just a pawn for them to marry off to whomever they feel?

The sun quickly sets, allowing the darkness to overcome me. It's colder at night, and the flickering street lights give me an eerie feeling. Well great now my life has truly become a horror film. I roll my eyes and wipe away my frustrated tears.

My wolf quickly becomes on edge. Do you hear that?

I stop and listen closely to the noises around us. I don't hear anything, but I certainly smell it. Rouges.

A shadow emerges from the dark forest that surrounds our pack, and I stay frozen under the streetlight. The figure becomes closer and I realize there are two of them. Great now we're outnumbered. I say to my wolf, but she doesn't respond. Where did she go?

Something smells amazing, but before I can figure out what a voice emerges from one of the shadows. "What are you doing out here all alone dove?"

I sniffle and try to regain my composure, but the other one quickly speaks up, "Aww what's wrong flower?"

Their voices send shivers down my back, but I can't let my guard down. "Who- who are you?"

They chuckle making my knees week. How can someone's voice be so attractive? "I believe we asked you questions first baby. Now don't be rude."

I ignore their words and the shivers running down my spine and ask another question. "What are you doing here? What do you want?"

I hear a sigh. The sound of leaves crunching becomes louder and louder. "We heard your dearest soon to be alpha was back in town and thought we would pay him a visit."

One figure disappears. I need to find him, but Ialso can't lose sight of the one still in front of me. I try to reach my wolf,but she doesn't assist me in any way. Well if I can't fight then I need toprepare to run. The last thing I hear before darkness overcomes my state ofmind were words that made my blood run cold, "But now we just want you