Chapter 29

Jonathan. Xavier's hurt, bad. We need a medic. Fast.

My blood boils, the only feeling running through me is pure rage. Red is all I can see as my hands itch to cover this land in the blood of everyone who has done me wrong. They will pay.

Everyone else. Follow me.

A battle cry of howls escape throughout the forest. Everyone can feel the pain of their Alpha and Beta, wanting nothing more than to fight for their pack. Their family.

Wolves are already lined up ready for our arrival. I shift into my wolf as soon as I see Henry's back recede into the crowd of wolves. The coward won't even face me himself. Letting his Alpha and his pack do all of his dirty work for him.

Blood seeps into my fur as my canines dig into the flesh of anyone that comes near me. It's a bloodbath, but even through all that and my fury I can catch the hint of vanilla chamomile is suddenly all I can focus on. The faint scent of my mate drives my wolf mad. It's coming from two places. One is strong but moving rapidly, as if fighting amongst the crowd. The other is further off, as if hidden in the background. As I search for the source in the sea of wolves a claw digs into my back leg making me roar.

Addison's POV

Jaxon lifts me bridal style into my room making me giggle. My stomach flips but it's not of happiness, more so unease. My heart feels to be crushed from inside my chest and pain travels through my body. I cry in pain making Jaxon panic.

"Hey, Addie, you okay?" I roll into a ball as he sets me down, and climbs into bed next to me.

"What- What's happening to me."

Jaxon wipes away my sweat, despite my body freezing. As I look at him his face is pale, a light sweat building onto him as well. What did we drink?

"Shit, I don't know. Do you hurt?" He checks my body for any visible wounds, although we both know he won't find any. As his hands graze against my skin, the biting cold seems to simmer making me relax.

"No, I- I'll be fine." He takes a step back making my body ignite in flames of pain once more. A strained whimper is all it takes for Jaxon to hop into bed with me once more.

He pulls me close to his chest relaxing the ache in my bones, "Is this okay?"

The energy is somehow nowhere to be found, and all I can do is nod.

Another whimpered sigh passes my lips before my eyes start to close. Jaxon's lips graze against my forehead as he holds me tighter, "Shhh, it's okay. I'll take care of you. Always."

The throbbing of pain in my chest is enough to stir me awake. Jaxon, nowhere to be seen. A gruff howl emits from my open window making my heart skip a beat. Although the sound is something I've never heard before, the familiarity of it draws me to the sound.

I stumble down the steps, trying my hardest to ignore all the achiness in my body. Violent snarls and the smell of blood will forever haunt my mind as I open the front door to a war unraveling before my eyes. Wolves are tearing themselves apart and I can sense the anger and pain in the air. Is a brutal bloodbath.

His green eyes are the first thing I notice. In the sea of people, I still manage to find him. I run to him as he shifts from his wolf back to human from mid sprint. I'm in his arms in a heartbeat but something is off. He carries me back inside away from the chaos outside. He places me to the ground with a panicked look on his face.

"No... no no no... he wasn't lying." He holds my face in his palms, then it hits me. The sparks. The pull of the mate bond. They're gone. Panic hits me like a truck. How can this happen? Is this why I've been feeling these waves of pain? Was it because they rejected me?

"That son of a bitch. He really did it." Kai's anger rolls off of him in waves.

I'm apprehensive to even ask, but my thoughts cant help itself from going to the worst, "W-who?"

"Your father. Somehow he was able to find a herb that severed the mate bond. I don't- I don't- It should be impossible."

The news weighs on my chest, "What does this mean? I'm... not your mate anymore?"

"No! No, Addison, look at me," He lifts my head, forcing me to look into his eyes, "You will always be my mate. No bond will ever change that. We- I'll figure out how to fix it. Don't worry."

"No, I don't mind... I'm just happy you're here. And you-you're real." The tears become walls making it harder to see the man in front of me, "Where's Xavier?"

Kai's eyes soften. His face crumbles, close to breaking. It hits me straight in the gut. No. No, he's fine. He's just running behind, fighting off the bad guys.

"Daddy.... Where is he?"

"He- he's- Jonathan took him back to the pack. There were so many- he lost so much- I don't know if he'll make it baby."

"No," My tears fall, no longer from the relief I felt when Kai arrived but misery from the news he brought with him, "No, please. You're lying. He- he can't-"

I'm having a full panic attack, I don't even notice someone calling my name.

"Addison! Addison where are you?" Kai hides me behind him protectively. Jaxon emerges from the door bloodied, bruised, and angry. Both men growl at the sight of each other.

"Who are you?" Jaxon is covered in wounds, clearly exhausted from the fight outside. Despite that he looks ready to pounce, but I know Kai could snap him in a heartbeat. The thought makes me cringe.

"I'm her mate." Jaxon looks at me wide eyed. He almost looks betrayed. He has no right to look at me like that. I told him I had mates. I told them all. He refused to believe me.

"Addison?" Kai growls even louder, Torryn creeping to the surface. Jaxon ignores him, keeping his gaze on me, "This... this is him?"

Tears fill my eyes at the broken look on his face. I can't handle any more bad news being thrown into the room, but he needs to know I was never truly his, "Yes. He's my mate."

Jaxon takes a step back, like I punched him or something, "And- you... you want to be his mate? Because just say the word, and I'll make sure he's gone."

That makes Torryn snap, and Kai's body goes rigid. His claws graze Jaxon's outreached arm, but I step in front of him, holding onto his bare chest hoping he'll calm down.

I speak to Jaxon, but don't look at anyone else but my mate, "No Jaxon. He's my mate, and more than anything I want to be his mate. I- I love him."

Both eyes snap to me in surprise, "You do?"

I turn to Jaxon, "I'm sorry Jaxon. I know you really wanted this to be us, but- I've grown to love my mates more than I ever thought possible. I love them with every fiber in my being and I can't imagine a world without them-" the words get caught in my throat, Xavier's loving eyes flashing in my mind, "and I just pray you can find that one day. But it just can't be me."

Kai's arms wrap around me, pulling me closer to him. Jaxon looks at us both, torn. Maybe in another world Jaxon could have been a good companion for me. But compared to what I have experienced with Kai and Xavier, it would have been nowhere near perfect.

"Okay. I've always just wanted you to be happy Addison, I hope you'll forgive me for what we've put you through."

"It wasn't your fault. My father was manipulating everyone."

Jaxon's eyes are glossy, tears refusing to escape, "I should call off my pack. Before there's any more casualties." 

Kai nods and his eyes go dull. He must be mind-linking everyone as well. Jaxon says his goodbyes, leaving the two of us alone.

Without another second Kai's lips are on mine. The kiss is one from a starved man. The contact sent my body ablaze with pure bliss. Although I wish I could have his lips against mine forever, we pull away and rest our foreheads against one another.

"Lets get you home."