Chapter Two: Auditions

***************************The choreographer observed my anxious state, and grew concerned for me

The choreographer observed my anxious state, and grew concerned for me. Shock crossed his face as he handed over my audition number, "Don't be nervous."

I roll my eyes, taking the paper to stick it onto my pants, "That's encouraging."

"You're Bianca Sweeney, right?" He blurts, brows furrowed.

"At your service." I confirm, nodding, "Carlos Rodriguez?"

Carlos nods in affirmation, "At your service." He mocked.

My brows raise, it felt like a breath of fresh air for someone new to match my energy. Carlos seemed proud of himself, holding his head high with confidence as he walked away. I nodded in approval.

"People! Make sure your audition number is clearly visible on your clothes. This isn't a game." Carlos announced to the crowd.

Confusion crossed my face, glancing down to where I put my number: on my right thigh over my black joggers. I glance over uncomfortably, assuming that Carlos was discreetly calling me out.

Then, reality set in, so I took a seat at the makeup chair, without even realizing that Nini is near.

Ironically, I am number 15, and she is 16.

"So, who are you auditioning for?" Nini pressed.

"Gabriella." I confidently blurt out.

"So am I! Hey, maybe you'll get the part of Kelsi. Or something." Her tone was mocking, masked with an innocent smile- yet, you can't deny the taunt behind that smile.

Kourtney's eyes widen, proud of her best friend's newfound confidence.

I take a deep breath to compose myself and glance up, before mockingly meeting her gaze as an idea struck me, "That's cute. Been practicing your big girl voice in front of the mirror every night?" I taunt, completely condescending.

Nini appeared embarrassed and taken aback, utterly speechless, while Kourtney glared at me.

(Bianca: outside of the dressing room)

"She's pissing me off." She crosses her arms, "But, you know what? No matter who I get, I'm doing this for EJ."

She takes a deep breath, "I have to keep reminding myself that."

EJ sits on the desk, between our two chairs, with a smile, "You know, you two are definitely each other's only competition."

She looks over at me as I roll my eyes, "You know what? You're right...I guess." Nini coyly agrees.

I let out a sarcastic hum while EJ smiles proudly then gently cradles his new girlfriend's chin. I turn my head and shut my eyes as jealousy overtakes me.

Miss Jenn knocks on the door, "Okay, theater people. Let's do this." She announces, and everyone cheers.

(EJ: in the dressing room)