Chapter Thirty-Three: Camp Prom

***************************It turns out, Dewey Wood has a nicely air-conditioned RV, reserved only for the directors and adults of Shallow Lake, parked just outside campgrounds, with a 'CAMPERS, KEEP OUT' sign on the door

It turns out, Dewey Wood has a nicely air-conditioned RV, reserved only for the directors and adults of Shallow Lake, parked just outside campgrounds, with a 'CAMPERS, KEEP OUT' sign on the door. Damian let it slip that this was a thing, so I talked him into giving me the keys, since I needed to use the washer and dryer.

Because I arrived at camp unprepared, Maddox has been letting me borrow her clothes whenever there is a theme. Luckily for me, she brought many choices for a '70s theme dance.

And here we are, enjoying the air conditioner, while waiting for our clothes to dry. Maddox sat atop the unoccupied washer, while I was on the floor, watching the spinning drier. My eyes were heavy, tired from the lack of sleep after Ricky and I stayed up 24 hours, making a long yawn escape me. I covered my mouth.

"Why are you so tired, Poison Ivy?" Maddox questions, brows furrowed, "And why did you go to bed when I was waking up, at 7?"

I can't help but smile, and it is obvious from the expression on my face that something happened between us.

She catches on, "What?"

"I need to tell someone! Carlos isn't awake yet."

"Tell me, tell me!" Maddox urges.

I stand up, grinning, "So, tomorrow is Ricky's birthday, and he has this bucket list of things he wants to complete before he's 18. One of the things was staying up for 24 hours..and he and I kissed!" I beam.

She gasps to match my energy, smiling wide, "Really?! I knew something was up when you couldn't stop looking at him, when I was taking your picture at auditions!"

I chuckle gently, nodding, "I know!"

"I'm happy for you!"

"Thank you!" I grin, "You know, I'm not trying to rush anything, but I haven't had a boyfriend in so long, I don't think I remember how to be a girlfriend."

She scoffs a laugh, "I can't help you with that. I'm not great in that department."

"Well, whenever I find out, I'll be sure to let you know." I playfully assure, and we share a laugh.

"Gadget," I start, "I literally love you so much for letting me steal your clothes."

She grins, "I had many options for the '70s theme, and that one was a little risqué, which is perfect for you."

I nod in agreement, "Yeah. And, you can borrow my clothes anytime."

Maddox nods appreciatively, "If only I had enough confidence..." She chuckles gently as realization dawns on her, "Ha, the pun! If Only."

"Well, you should, because you're gorgeous." I start, making her smile wide, "And, I'm pretty sure you think about that song more than I do."

She puts her hands up in surrender, "I'm not ashamed to admit that I sing it all of the time."