Chapter Ten: The Tech Rehearsal

************************While the building is still intact: I, alongside the rest of the drama club, walk into the auditorium that was almost burnt to a crisp

While the building is still intact: I, alongside the rest of the drama club, walk into the auditorium that was almost burnt to a crisp.

"Excuse me, kids!" A firefighter passes by, while we gaze around the building, dumbfounded.

"Oh, my gosh. What happened?!" A wide-eyed Nini questions.

Miss Jenn approaches us, "It's okay. Nobody was hurt. There was a small fire in the theater over the holiday, and the sprinklers did their job." She assures, in a calm tone to disguise her shock.

"We're almost done in here, just have to finish up in the faculty room next. Some circuits blew in there over the break." The firefighter explains, holding a basketball prop that is halfway burnt.

"Unfortunately, the show cannot go on." The firefighter informs.

Our jaws drop, sharing shocked and defeated looks.

"Fire ripped through half of your costumes, and the sprinklers ruined a bunch of your sets. I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to red tag the entire backstage area for a month at least." She concludes.

"Did she just say costumes?" Kourtney blurts, shock and sadness shadowing her features.

"Okay. Okay, listen up." Miss Jenn starts, "Hug your neighbor, take a moment, and let's all reconvene in the cafeteria after school to talk about our options."

**************************************
After school in the cafeteria: Carlos, Seb, & I huddle up, attempting to comfort each other, as all of us were in this disastrous time.

"Okay, guys! Wait, where's Gina?" Miss Jenn questions.

"I think she's going through a family thing right now." Ashlyn informs.

"Prayers to our Gina. I'm really not sure what to say, you've all worked so hard. I've seen all of you grow so much. But if we don't have a theater, we don't have a show."

Disappointed, indistinct chatter fills the air.

I take a deep breath and rest my chin in my palm, sitting between Carlos & Seb.

"Come on, Miss Jenn, we've gotta do something." Carlos encourages.

"I think we..." Miss Jenn trails, putting her thoughts in order, "I don't know, I guess we could consider other venues?" She suggests, offering a small, slightly nervous smile.

We chat amongst ourselves to figure out the perfect venue.

"Oh, oh!" Ashlyn bursts, "What about the old Kingston downtown?" She suggests.

"It's condemned." Miss Jenn informs.

"The Lucky Ducky Puppet Pavilion?" EJ suggests, offering a hopeful expression.

"It's a massive Starbucks now." Miss Jenn reminds, gesturing her hands out, with wide eyes.

"How about the El Rey?" Carlos put forth.