Chapter Sixteen: The Storm

***********************The drama club and I are all in the bomb shelter before rehearsal, while we await Miss Jenn

The drama club and I are all in the bomb shelter before rehearsal, while we await Miss Jenn. I am on my phone, lightly laughing at a text that Howie sent. When Ashlyn approaches with a teasing hum, my focus is diverted. I look up and downplay my smile.

"I've heard that giggle before." She teases, sitting next to me.

"Whatever! I do not giggle." I playfully protest.

She continues, ignoring me, "From me with Big Red, now you.." She teasingly nudges my arm.

"Over.." I sarcastically prompt, narrowing my eyes in fake curiosity.

"You know who." in a sing-song tone, she grins.

"We're just friends." I dismiss, waving it off.

"Looks like it." Carlos chimes, since he approached me from behind, his hands on my shoulders slightly startled me. Seb was next to him.

I notice the disapproval shadowing his features as he stands in front of me, and I nervously grin while placing a hand over my heart, "Oh, hi.."

"Do you approve?" Seb questions, his gaze on his boyfriend, in curiosity.

The corners of his mouth quirk up, "Maybe a little.

"Me too!" Seb grins, huffing a laugh, "Even though we barely know him."

Ashlyn nods in agreement, "Biggie trusts him, they're good friends! So, I approve, too."

"Approve of what?" I sarcastically question.

"Hm.." She playfully wonders.

"Enough downplaying it, you're really into this guy. We need to meet him!" Carlos encourages.

I wave it off, "Whatever. You guys are crazy."

"You spend all your time texting him," Carlos teases, sitting next to me, "Which is a disgusting amount considering you work with him."

The corners of my mouth quirk up, "Okay, I admit, that we've gotten to know each other, and he's a really good guy. I'm not opposed to dating, but you guys are taking this too seriously. I'm single and having fun." I shrug.

Carlos shakes his head in shame, "In movies, "single and having fun," always leads to pregnancy."

"What movies are you watching?" Seb wonders, grossed out.

"Lifetime movies." Carlos confirms, eyes wide in horror like mine.

Seb chuckles, waving it off, "I agree with you, Bianca. You deserve to have fun. I mean, you do seem to really like Howie, but.." He trails, shrugging.

I nod in agreement, "Exactly."

"Okay, everyone, gather around." Miss Jenn announces, earning the attention, "We have got a two-hour window before the storm is expected to hit, and I intend to use every minute of it. Big, splashy, group numbers always succeed at the Menkie Awards. So, we need to workshop a punchy, breathtaking number that will put us in the number one spot."