Chapter Forty: The Thirteenth

*************************October 13th, 5:09:PM

October 13th, 5:09:PM

As I set my phone down, after sending a text to Carlos, I hum If I Ain't Got You by Alicia Keys, while putting my left earring in.

I smile and playfully shake my head as it ends, "Bowen," I mutter to myself, as this song holds a very special place in my heart now, because of the time Ricky told me that he listens to it and thinks of me.

(Bianca: in her room full of boxes)

She huffs, with both hands on her hips, "It's finally Friday the thirteenth, and I'm going to celebrate myself! With Ricky, Carlos, Seb, Mads, and Ash. I've been looking forward to a stress-free night after a....tough 24 hours." Disgust crosses her face as she cringes at the memory.

"My dad hasn't tried calling again, Damian's still pissed at him, and is encouraging me not to reach out." She sighs, hesitating, "I don't want to, but a part of me feels obligated... anyway, stress-free. night." assuredly.

My playlist then proceeded to play 'Somethin' Stupid' by Frank Sinatra; a father-daughter duet, that I used to dance with my father to when I was a child, bringing up even more memories. It was always the highlight of my Saturday nights when we'd listen to this album on the record, because my father is old fashioned. He would move the furniture out of the way, which my mother disliked because he never put it back right. We would dance in the living room, where he introduced me to both classic songs and musicals, which made me fall in love with theater.

Shock crossed my face as my heart dropped, however, in contrast to how I usually react to memories like this, I felt enraged instead of sad. I am upset that he gave me such a lovely childhood and then left, and now, has the arrogance to call after months of absence. However, I would not be surprised if Mack was the one who made him reach out.

My breathing picked up as I tensed and became enraged. I clenched my jaw, then rushed to pause the song, before plopping down onto my bed with a sigh as I shut my eyes.

Even though my father is still alive, I have spent months grieving him. Now that all of my tears have dried up, I can finally see him for the man my mother has been warning me about for years. I now realize that I should not let him back into my life, ever again.

Suddenly, I am startled when my mother calls my name; she does not sound very happy. My eyes bolt open as I flinch.

"Blanche Avery!" She called again, a little more sternly.

*********************************************Third-person POV*

The Bowen household was decorated with a "Happy Birthday, Bianca!" banner, red and pink balloons, and matching streamers. With the birthday girl's favorite snacks on the table, along with multiple gifts. The drama club, with Kat and Damian included, are all gathered for Bianca's surprise party.