Chapter Twenty-Three: Showtime

*********************The transformation did not go as planned

The transformation did not go as planned. With Ricky successfully lifted into the air like the Broadway show, we all shared a moment of confidence and relief, thinking that we were actually going to win. But our moment of excitement was cut short when the rope snapped and Ricky plummeted to the floor, falling on Ashlyn. My hand clamped over my mouth in shock. But thankfully, the two leads were okay, besides their wrists.

It is now opening night, and I am more nervous than ever.

"Thank you, Nini." I smile kindly, taking the opening night card.

"Thank you. Posting my music was truly the best thing I've ever done!" She beams.

I give her a tender shoulder squeeze, "I'm proud of you."

"Likewise! Also, can you give this to Ricky?" She hands me another card.

While humming in acknowledgment, a nervous smile spreads across my face, hesitating as I take the card.

Nini smiles appreciatively, "You get it."

"Yeah!" I blurt.

"Good luck tonight." She grins, heading backstage. I glance over uncomfortably.

(Bianca: backstage)

"My dad actually got here a few days earlier. And something we used to do days before the show, was put a pause on any and every distraction, to simply just focus on the musical. Well, I haven't been on my phone all weekend. I've been super MIA, and apparently Carlos has been trying to reach me over something super important, which was what Seb told me. But last night, we saw North High's show, so..he was pretty much too freaked out to say any words- just like he is now. So, I have to just keep brushing off whatever it could be that he wants to tell me."

Walking into the bomb shelter, I find Ricky and Ashlyn rehearsing the transformation, still struggling to perfect it.

"It was like a Renaissance painting. I have no idea how they did it!" A stressed Ricky exclaims.

I huff a laugh, approaching them, "Why are you guys so stressed? Because of North High last night?"

Ashlyn sighs, "It was like if James Cameron and a circus had a baby."

"Howie was so good as The Beast, I'm actually rooting against myself tonight." Ricky over-dramatically expressed.

"Ashlyn," Natalie calls, "Time to bedazzle your wrist." She informs, linking arms with Ashlyn to pull her away: which left Ricky and I alone.

"Nini wanted me to give you this." I inform, blurting out before awkward silence could creep in.

"Oh," Ricky huffs an awkward laugh, taking the opening night card, "Thanks."

I wave it off, "Yeah."

"Well, see ya.." Realization sinks in, "Well, after the show. Then after that, we won't see each other for..a while."