Chapter Twenty-Two: The Transformation

*************************I left Chicago early, as planned

I left Chicago early, as planned. Ricky and I haven't talked since, but I have to keep reminding myself how that isn't abnormal for us.

I spent the rest of spring break thinking about Ricky, but I continue to downplay any feelings that I might have.

Now, it is the first Monday after spring break; after school, in rehearsal, indistinct chatter filled the auditorium.

"All right, let's get started!" Carlos shouts, tapping his clipboard, but failing to earn the attention. "Hello? Let's get started!"

"Okay, Wildcats!" Miss Jenn beams, clapping her hands, "Let's shake spring break out of our systems."

I cast an uncomfortable glance over, "I'd love to." I thought to myself.

"And try the Beast transformation one last time. And remember, this is the triumph of the show, the moment the audience has been waiting for. This has to work!" Miss Jenn rants, distressed.

"Wait," I start, "I'm confused as to why we all have to be here then?" My tone was unintentionally snappy, earning confused looks from the rest of the drama club.

"If you are a part of the show, you are a part of rehearsal." Miss Jenn reminds, trailing to let her words sink in.

From my side view, I noticed Ricky's gaze linger on me for a moment.

I nod in acknowledgment, "Right." quietly.

"Ricky, try not to rush this time. We'll speed it up when you're more confident." Miss Jenn instructs, earning his attention.

"Got it." Ricky confirms, tearing his eyes off me.

"Let's take it from... "You came back." She directs.

As the rest of us step back, letting Ashlyn and Ricky rehearse, I take a seat at the piano.

"What's up with you?" EJ quietly questions, leaning against the piano. He genuinely sounded and looked concerned.

I wave it off, "I've just never really been a minor character before." That wasn't a lie, so he bought it.

EJ nods in understanding, "I totally get it. Remember my freak out last year?" He scoffs and rolls his eyes, "I was a mess."

I huff a laugh, nodding, "Yeah."

We turned our attention to Ricky and Ashlyn rehearsing the scene where the beast transforms back into a man. Ricky wasn't at his best, it seemed like something was bothering him.

I kind of hoped that maybe he couldn't stop thinking about me, about spring break. But it's probably just because of Nini.

"Cut!" Miss Jenn shouts.

"Sorry, Natalie." Ricky nervously grins, after accidentally hitting her with the beast mask upon trying to perfect the transformation.

Then, a very distressed Miss Jenn attempted to lie to us and herself by saying that everything was going fine. She went into her office, and Carlos nervously announced a long five, before following after her.