Chapter Forty-Five: Born To Be Brave

My heart fell. My feet felt glued to the floor. I swear, I stopped breathing. My eyes went wide.

Mack smiled tensely, and I now know why he was eagerly searching the hall, he knew my father was here, but did not have time to tell me.

I heard footsteps and turned around, only to find my father and his warm smile. Shock shadowed my features. I used to feel at home when I looked at him, but now, I want to cry from rage.

"Blanche!" He called again, huffing in disbelief.

"Dad," I quietly blurt, utterly stunned.

The moment he embraced me, wrapped his arms around me, I wanted to melt like I am a little kid again. This was once my favorite place in the world. I hesitantly wrapped my arms around his middle as he kissed my head.

"Nice to see you, Mr. Sweeney." Mack uncomfortably blurts, waving.

"Mack Alana!" Dad grins, pulling away from my stunned self, "My greatest student."

"You're the best, sir!" He compliments, embracing my father in a handshake-hug.

Beside them, I put my hands on my hips and shut my eyes, attempting to casually gather my shaking breath.

"I gotta go." Mack announces, going back into the auditorium.

"I'll see you in there!" He grins, and they wave at one another as they depart.

"Giving it a shot with Mack?" Dad assumes, smiling proudly.

My eyes flew open as shock crossed my face.

"I always thought you'd be good together." He continues.

I shake my head, "No. I have a boyfriend." My voice was stern.

He sighs, disappointed, "Don't tell me it's EJ."

"It's not. It's Ricky Bowen. My Troy." My voice was firm at first, then a little softer talking about my boyfriend, as a small smile crept up.

"But, you hated him." He reminds, puzzled.

Because of how disconnected from my life my father is, I felt a burning pain in my chest that was filled with rage.

"Yeah, well, you've been gone a long time, and things are different." I snap.

His brows raise, taken aback, "Blanche, I've tried reaching out to you."

Shock crosses my face as my jaw drops and tears well up in my eyes, since he is trying to put the blame on me.

"I've seen the documentary. Why didn't you tell me about it?" He questions, puzzled, "Or about this new musical? I would love to hear about all of this. You're the perfect leading lady, you know I think so."

"Yeah, you say that.." My voice breaks, "But is it because you truly mean it? Or do you just feel guilty for how much you've missed, and you think complimenting me just makes it all better, like when I was a kid!?" I snap as tears escape me.

He only gawked at me, "Blanche, you know that's not true."

I backed away when he tried reaching for my hands, while shaking my head dismissively trying to control my tears, "I don't believe you."

He opened his mouth to speak, but the auditorium door opened, revealing Damian. I was able to exhale in relief at last. He appeared angry. Mack must have said something.

Shock crosses Dad's face, smiling, "Damian!?"

"What are you doing here?" Damian sternly questions, putting an arm around my shoulder. I shut my eyes and lean into him.