Chapter Forty-Two: Trust The Process

***************************While wearing Ricky's jacket and the locket that he gave me, I am seated cross-legged in the hallway, with my head against the wall, while Carlos is lying on the ground, resting his head on my knee as I caress his arm

While wearing Ricky's jacket and the locket that he gave me, I am seated cross-legged in the hallway, with my head against the wall, while Carlos is lying on the ground, resting his head on my knee as I caress his arm. Alongside us, I also have the bag that my brother crocheted for me; I bring it to school every day.

"Just when I think that my headache is gone, a sudden loud noise brings it back." I complain, eyes shut tight.

"Same," He groans, "On top of a two-day hangover, and Seb ignoring me, November has been terrible already. "

"Yeah," I sympathize, nodding.

"Maybe I could plan an elaborate flash mob as a gesture of goodwill? I hear those are coming back." His voice was weak.

"No." I gently dismiss, trying not to judge my best friend in his vulnerable state.

"Blanche," He agonizes, extending my name.

"I know." I assure, caressing his arm softly.

"Guys," We groaned and sneered in irritation as Ricky spoke at a normal volume, drawing near.

"Why are you yelling!?" I whisper-shout.

He shakes his head in shame, crouching down to hand us two water bottles, "It's been two days, and you guys are still hungover." quietly, disappointedly.

Shock crosses my face, lowering my sunglasses to my nose, "Wanna say that louder? I don't think the entire school heard you!" Carlos and I burst out laughing at my dramatic remark.

Confusion crosses his face, standing up, "I literally couldn't have said that any quieter." 

"Thank you, Richard." My best friend sits up to sit cross-legged and take a sip of the water, "We were just discussing how Sebastian failed to show, and is avoiding both of us!"

I nod along, "And he's threatening to go back to being home-schooled!"

He sighs in defeat, "He's officially turning this into a feud!"

Shock shadows Ricky's features, nodding along.

The corners of Carlos' mouth quirk up smugly, despite himself, "Which, I actually respect from a reality show plot line perspective. But, come on! He's taking this way too far!" in defeat.

"To be fair," Ricky reasons, "Aren't you the one who taught him to take things too far?"

We both gasp, sharing a shocked look, playfully.

"Whose side are you on!?" I dramatically jest, holding my hand out.

My boyfriend huffs a laugh, while taking my hand to help me to my feet, "Maybe I can try to talk to Seb." Ricky suggests. I lean into him and rest my head on his shoulder; he wraps his arms around my waist.