Chapter Thirty-Five: New Normal

Both the High School Musical 4 sign and the crowd were buzzing. Four of the OG Wildcats took the stage, as the curious coach questioned Troy and Gabriella's whereabouts. Alas, the drama club was saved because Ms. Darbus is here to stay, and here to celebrate came Bailey and Sam; AKA Gina and Mack, as their characters for the new film.

Along with our friends who are extras, Ricky and I stood off to the side. Since EJ replaced him as the geeky math student after Ricky was fired, they permitted us to stay and watch the final scene.

The past few months have been chaotic.

Mack finished the scene by crashing his lips into Gina's, catching us all by surprise.

"Cut!!" Quinn, the director, demands, "Mack, you are not supposed to kiss Gina until after the bridge. That was a change in blocking rehearsal. You wanna be fired like those two!?" She firmly spoke into a microphone, motioning to my boyfriend and me, who were wide-eyed upon being called out. We glance at each other.

Mack held up his thumb and claimed that he understood—though I sensed sarcasm. The director instructed the featured extras to look alive. We are all still stunned by Mack's actions.

Kourtney played with her hair, "That kiss looked very convincing."

"Yeah, Cuz!" Ashlyn agrees, "You sure you're okay with this!?"

"Why wouldn't I be!?" EJ's anxious voice cracked, before huffing nervously.

Ricky leans in closer to me, to whisper, "I'm getting Shallow Lake/Jet vibes."

I gasped in realization, clinging tighter to his arm, "Same!"

"I mean," EJ waves it off, before becoming a mess of air quotes and speaking sarcastically to appear casual, "What? You think I'm jealous of Gina's childhood crush, who could literally steal her with the snap of his finger? Me!? Jealous? Come on! It's her senior year."

The college freshman's chest fell with an anxious exhale upon noticing our judging and concerned faces; EJ glances over uncomfortably.

********************************************
TWO MONTHS EARLIER:

***********************It is currently the last Saturday of Summer before school, and the iconic 2007 movie,  Carlos' favorite, Enchanted, is on screen

It is currently the last Saturday of Summer before school, and the iconic 2007 movie, Carlos' favorite, Enchanted, is on screen.

My best friend and I are pouring our hearts out—rather obnoxiously—to That's How You Know, in my brother and sister-in-law's living room. We are standing in front of the T.V., singing into the remotes. Our respective significant others' are perched on the gray sofa.

"..Send you yellow flowers when the sky is gray?" We held the note, while holding in our laughter and swaying.

Ricky is on the chaise lounge side, holding a pillow, while watching us; smiling wide and nodding supportively. Seb had the same reaction, before scooting over to speak over our loud singing.