Chapter Thirty-Eight: A Star Is Reborn

****************************"Mom, please! Just sign it

"Mom, please! Just sign it." I plead, holding out the contract that will allow me to star in High School Musical 4.

All of us were astonished by Quinn's phone call when she handed over Dani's part to me. While my friends were thrilled, I froze. They urged me to accept, and I did so reluctantly.

Mom shakes her head, taking a deep breath with her arms crossed, "Your whole life, you've said that you're "meant for Broadway, not Hollywood!" She reminds, with over-dramatic jazz hands.

My brows raise in approval as I shrug, since she was not wrong and the impression was not bad.

"So, why the change of heart?" She knowingly pressed, analyzing me.

I tilt my head as my shoulders fall in defeat since I know what she is implying, "It's not because of Dad."

"Really?" She challenges, "Because, with his absence, and Mack being such a constant reminder, it all feels connected."

"This is about me trying to rebuild my image." I inform, assuredly, "I'm detention, Mom, and they all hate me!"

"You know what?" She caves in, holding her head high confidently, "I will give you a week on that set."

I sigh in relief, nodding in agreement.

"One week, Blanche Avery." She firmly promises, "And if you actually like it, then I'll sign that."

I am glad that she is giving me a choice, because as grateful as I am to be starring as Bailey, the lead in a High School Musical movie, it does not feel right. Somehow, my mother sees right through me; it is not because of my dad, however, she is wrong about that. I just do not feel deserving because I never wanted to be an actress that did not involve being on a stage, but maybe Mr. Mazzara was actually right, and I should let go of that dream. I feel guilty that I want more than this.

Seeing my name on a star made my heart skip a beat because everything was sinking in.

Ricky picked me up to drop me off at set; we were in my trailer, on a blue couch. I am lying down with my legs on his lap as he is sitting up.

"The documentary, the movie," He admires.

My eyes are soft as I watch my boyfriend gush over me.

"You're a star, Bianca Sweeney. I've always known it. I'm honored to be a trophy boyfriend." proudly.

I chuckle gently, sitting up, so he meets me halfway to capture my lips in a sweet kiss.

My smile falls weak upon pulling back, "Do you really think of all this.. movie stuff is gonna work out? Like, I'll ease into it?"

His expression reveals to me how serious he is that it'll all work out, as he nods assuredly. Ricky caresses my cheek while cradling my face, "You're Bianca Sweeney, and you can do anything you set your mind to."