06

The green light flickered, and her head was already dizzy as the two girls stepped out of their room, ready to join the party downstairs.

Isla had been hesitant at first, more than it. Nearly frightened to actually take Blaise up on his offer to join their gathering. She never attended parties before the war. It was never in her interest to do so.

She was happier without the drama, the friends, and the mysteries that tended to come with it. Isla enjoyed staying out of everything that rounded the favored Slytherins, not that she believed herself to ever measure up to them, no.

Isla wasn't a pureblood, and that didn't cut it,

She felt as if her knees weakened underneath her as they walked down the stairs, her arm intertwined with Ava's, and the common room crowded with people nearly made her gasp. She had never seen this many students in there at once before.

''Shocking, isn't it?'' Ava smirked at her as her features lit up in the verdant colors, and the thick cloud of smoke circled them.

''What is?'' Isla sought not to seem to be too bothered at sight she held a slight minute ago, ''Oh, you mean—''

Ava's eyes rolled as she annoyingly huffed at her friend, ''Yeah, I mean the party, why do you always seem so clueless?''

Isla's eyes followed the gesture as hers rolled in sync with her friend's, and her arm around Ava's tensed, ''What do we do?''

Ava stopped, her arm dragged out of her friend's grip, ''What do you mean, what do we do? It's a party, Isla, don't be like that.''

''Be like what?'' Isla rose a brow as her friend stepped away from her closer to the table covered with plastic cups and clear crystal bottles. Ava didn't hesitate to make herself a drink before she disappeared through the crowd of people, leaving Isla behind.

She didn't even know what had just happened.

She didn't even have the chance to think before Ava was gone.

She huffed, standing alone in the mass of students as they shouldered their way around her. She was invisible, not one single soul paid attention to her, but for her — for her, it was a good thing, not having to feel more uncomfortable in the silky black dress her friend urged for her to wear.

Her eyes flickered across the common room, over the damp, moving bodies as they danced their way through the dusk and the lights flashing over them.

''You're not supposed to be here.''

Isla flinched by the hoarse voice, ripping through her ears as she spun around, almost stumbling into the muscular chest in front of her.

''What?'' She sought to speak louder than the music, ''Why are you—''

Theodore's hand wrapped around her upper arm, and he dragged her back to the end of the stairs, away from the nosey students and all the attention it brought for him to be seen talking to her.

Her back collided heavily with the stone-covered wall, and she gasped at the coldness as it trailed shivers down her exposed spine.

''You're not supposed to be here.'' Theo said again, harsher this time, making his point more firmly, ''I told Zabini that you're not invited.''

Isla's brows knitted together, and his hold around her arm loosened at the confused gaze she held, ''I'm not—'' She swallowed the hesitation she felt, ''I just followed Ava. I didn't mean—''

Theodore's head tilted, dangerously slow to the side as his tongue rolled over his bottom lip, and he placed both of his hands against the rock-coated wall. He trapped her in, towering over her.