42

Mature content ahead.

_____

''They did what?'' Isla whispered, harshly and she lowered her head to look at her friend, ''Say that again, I don't—''

Mila looked over her shoulder, meeting Isla's confused stare, ''She's throwing a going away party for Leo, and she spread the word that he's going to Azkaban, so....''

Shaking her head and looking in front of them, they strolled into the Great Hall, ''She has no shame, does she?'' Isla sounded beaten, yet infuriated, ''How can she do this and get away with it?''

Slipping down to their seats, Mila usually would have nestled up to Leo, already sitting on his usual chair, waiting for them, but she didn't now — now she took place on the opposite side of the table.

Leo swallowed, doubtfully and his eyes flickered away from the girl, ''What are we talking about?'' He asked politely. Sending Isla a smile, ''You two always get so quiet when I—''

''Your sister,'' Mila said dryly and bothered. She loathed this, more than anything — she absolutely hated not being able to be with the boy she wished for.

They had stayed clear of the other, not sharing more than a couple of words since Leo told Mila about the situation his sister had put them in. He was standing trial for being with her, and she felt so at fault.

''Ava is throwing a party,'' Isla mumbled, quietly not for the Slytherins around them to hear, ''A going away party for you.''

''What the—'' Frowning, he placed his elbows upon the wood, leaning over to be closer to them, ''Now? Or what—''

''She told everyone you're being sent to Azkaban, Leo.'' Isla shook her head, dragging her fingers through her hair as she shot Mila a swift look, seeing how much all of this hurt her friend, ''We need to do something—''

''We're not doing anything,'' Mila whispered, looking down at her lap as her curls framed her face beautifully. It ached within Leo, seeing her like that without being able to do a thing about it, ''We're not doing anything. We'll let her have her fun with this, and we'll ignore her.''

''But—'' Isla sought to speak, but the glare Mila shot her hewed her off immediately.

''No but's, I don't want this to be worse than it already is, so we'll do nothing, and we hope that she gets what's coming to her.'' Mila sounded severe, ''I don't want us to get into more trouble, so it's how it has to be.''

''If that's what you want,'' Isla tried to comfort, placing her hand on her friend's back and stroking her fingers along it. Leo looked at the two with so much agony looping through his pupils, his brows tense and his jaws clenched.

He was the one almost losing everything he'd worked for, yet he didn't care about that. All he seemed to mind was Mila. He didn't want to see her hurt as she did now. The clever, sharp girl she usually was — was nowhere to be found at the moment, so lost in her head at everything that had passed since Leo got the doomed letter.

Mila indeed had her own choices. She lived to be smart, bright, and make all the right decisions, but in this — in this, all she wished for was to be with him. They had been in love for years but never truly had a chance to act on it. Firstly because of the war happening, they got close, and they were ready to be committed to one another, and then the world shattered, lives were lost, and families are torn apart.

Nothing scored in the way they knew it anymore, so they once again — left each other on hold. But she didn't want that anymore. She'd gone out of her comfort zone and against her stubborn mind to be with the boy she'd loved for years, only to have it crumbling down around her.