34

Isla ran away that night.

The way Theodore looked at her. How his eyes snapped between her and the letter, tightly hugged to her chest — to how he noticed her clothes being disordered, her hair messy.

He knew. She could see as her eyes matched his and as she drowned in them from not seeing him for over a month.

Isla panicked. She froze, and her world crumbled as she has stumbled past him. Not a word was shared between the two.

Not once the following day did she leave her room. Not for class, not to eat, not to be with her friends — nothing.

Leo had brought her a plate both for lunch and dinner, making sure that she got something in her as she hid within the safety of the four walls.

''It's not that bad, that he's back, I mean....'' Leo lowered his voice, hunched down over the edge of his bed, facing her, ''I mean, it's not bad that he's back in school. Perhaps you guys should talk about it?''

''Talk about what?'' Isla shifted around underneath her covers, looking directly at her friend with pained dashes as they stained her pupils, ''What is there to talk about? Malfoy lied about the letter, and I slept with him, Leo. Theodore was gone for barely a month, and I slept with Malfoy the night he decided to come back, and as if that weren't enough, he caught me, sneaking out of their room.''

Nodding as he settled his elbows on his knees, tipping his head to rest in the palms of his hands, ''Yeah...'' Leo sighed, troubled and worried for his friend, ''I know it sounds like a lot, but it's not that bad. You don't have any rules to follow. You're allowed to sleep with whomever you want, whenever you want, and how were you supposed to know that Theodore would be back yesterday?''

''I'm not saying that I did anything wrong. I'm just saying that it feels terrible. Believe me, Leo — I know I'm not tied to either of them, but it's...'' She hushed, tucking her chin deeper into the covers, and she simply wished she could vanish from earth, ''It's a lot, and now I just know that it all will be going to hell.''

''What did he say? In the letter?'' Leo asked, still with his head in his hands and his sight curiously gazing at her.

''That he's sorry for leaving me like he did and that he wants to make it right....'' Pinching her eyes shut, she seized a deep breath, ''And that he misses me.''

''Well...'' He mumbled, moving his hand over his head before scratching his neck, ''Did he say something to you last night?''

Huffing out, Isla shook her head, ''He didn't have the chance to before I ran off.''

Humming, Leo gripped his knees, and he stood tall on his feet, striding over the space between their beds, ''I know you feel like this is the end of the world, but it's not. I promise it's not,'' Bending down, he pushed his lips into her head, kissing her forehead.

''Just talk to them, the both of them. Perhaps Theodore has a better explanation for being gone for a month and Draco...'' He leaned back, looking down at her, worryingly, ''I don't know about him, but talk to them, Isla. That's the only thing that will give you some peace of mind.''

Smiling, shyly, she nodded, peering after him as he strode towards the door, and he turned around just before opening it, ''I promised Mila that I'd study with her, but I'll be back. It might be late so, don't wait up.''

''Tell her hi from me—''

Just as he closed his hand around the doorknob, twisting it to flay it wide — the knock, hitting the wood caused them both to flinch.

Leo shot her a bewildered stare, shrugging as he flung the door open, and Isla dived down into her covers, hiding from whoever was knocking.

''Yeah, she's not here,'' Leo sought to lie, standing in the way for the boy so he wouldn't be able to see her, ''No, she left for a walk or something—''