68

Isla looked at Leo like never before.

Her eyes were broad and fixed upon her best friend. The corners of her lips twitched as she tried to keep her focus tamed.

The night breeze slipped through the cracks of the treehouse they both had climbed into.

''What?'' She yelled out through a harsh whisper. She didn't want the two boys downstairs to know what this was about until she understood it herself, ''What the hell are you saying?''

Leo had a bitter grimace, pushing his lips tight before parting them to speak, but Isla hewed him off before he even had the chance to do so.

''Are you completely out of your mind?'' She almost seethed, shoving herself closer to him, ''What do you mean obliviate her? Are you even hearing how that sounds?''

''Isla—''

''And what? You obliviate her, and then what? What are we supposed to do? Leave her? Drop her off at her grandma's for good and forget about her? Have you even thought this through? Can you even hear how it sounds—''

''No, but if you let me speak, I might be able to,'' Leo was the one cutting her off now, staring at her through darkness as it held rich around them.

Isla paused. Her jaw clenched tight.

''I know it sounds crazy, alright? But this is messing with her whole life,'' He said, feeling the pain of his own words. He hadn't said much, yet it already tore him apart, ''She's supposed to be in school, Isla. She's supposed to go to class, to eat, spend time with her friends, and then go to bed like a normal person.''

She blinked. Her jaw unclenched as her frown faded.

''She's not supposed to be locked up at Draco's house or Theo's. She's not supposed to spend her time at the ministry crying while I stand trial. It's not supposed to be like that.''

His sight fell to the wooden floor, and he let a shaking breath pass his lips, ''She's meant to prepare for her future, Isla. She's meant to figure out what she wants to do with her life, who she wants to marry, and what the name of her children will be.''

Her heart ached.

''I'm taking all of that away from her. You might think that I'm an idiot for wanting to decide her life for her, and I am. I am a fucking bastard for wanting her to forget about me. I know that, but my life has been getting in the way of hers for too long now.''

His words were trembling as he spoke them, but still, he hadn't been so decided for anything in his life before.

''I can't live with myself if she gives up on herself because of me. She's changing, Isla. I know you see it too. She's changing, and I hate myself for it.''

Leo shook his head, then dragged a hand over his shaved hair. He didn't know what else to speak. His words had already been spoken loud enough.

Isla sighed, dragging her friend down to place his head in her lap. She replaced his fingers with hers, and she gently stroked his skull, just like she'd done in this exact place as kids.

''You said that she should be living like a normal person,'' Her voice was calmer now, soothing, ''But how can you expect that when we live in a world that's anything but normal?''

Leo nestled up to her. He hadn't felt comfort in so long. He was completely drained of human touch, apart from fighting with Mila and the tiny moments they spent together afterward. The hands that were placed on him in Azkaban were cruel, evil, and wicked ones. They hurt. Isla didn't.

She was more home than anything had ever been.

''She is changing, Leo. I know she is, but change isn't always a bad thing. She's changing because she's growing. Yes, Hogwarts would be good for her if it wasn't like it is now. She's smart, she's so clever, and she already knows everything they can teach her there. We all do. She doesn't need textbooks about potions and magic, she needs to understand what a life is outside school, and I don't know anyone who would be a better teacher at that than you.''