11

''Should we do the assignment together in secret?'' Ava asked, her eyes flickered over to Isla, ''I mean, how would she know if we did it with them or if we did it ourselves?''

Isla nodded against the palm of her hand. Her elbow rested upon the table, ''We should,'' Her note quiet, not to draw any attention to herself, ''We could if you want to, I mean.''

Ava quickly caught onto the gesture, her spine leaning against the backrest of the common room sofa, ''Shouldn't we get started then?'' Her face lit up in excitement to work with her best friend again.

''I missed you,'' Ava stated, stretching her hand in the air to tuck a strand of stray hair behind Isla's ear, ''And I'm sorry, again.''

Isla's eyes rolled annoyingly as her legs crossed in front of her, smiling back at her friend, ''You've said so probably a thousand times by now.'' Her books felt heavy on her lap, tracing her fingers over them.

''I know,'' Ava groaned, flipping the pages of her own book open, ''But can you really say it enough?''

''I think you can, yes,'' Isla said happily, and she was happy — happy to be at peace with her friend again and to feel as if she didn't need to hide much from her anymore.

The fireplace in front of them crackled, and the flames fumed even higher for a slight second as Isla's eyes fell upon it. Her mind wandered, and she couldn't help but think about Theodore.

How infuriated she was with the boy for being a part of Malfoy's plan to humiliate her. Days passed since she kicked him out of her room, yet she wasn't capable of letting it go.

Perhaps it was the hurtful thought that he would be better than this. That he somewhere would be more mature than the blond seemed to be — but apparently not. He seemed to be just as foul and uncivil as Malfoy was.

Isla's head shook, and her mind clocked back to reality.

''So what if we start with page—'' Ava's words simply faded in her head the very instant she caught the blond at the other end of the room they were seated in, next to the girl, calling herself his girlfriend.

Her gaze fell over them, and her book rose in her hands to shyly hide the fact that she was eavesdropping.

They looked to be fighting again. They did that quite much these days, and Isla was curious as to why they did, but she could at the same time not cross Malfoy one more time. He would ruin her and everyone around her if she did.

Her heart ached as she watched him frown, his jaws gritted to the words Pansy was speaking — but he didn't seem angry — no. His face held a cloak of hurt, nearly agonized.

''Are you even listening to me?'' Ava nudged Isla to the side, making her eyes snap to hers instead of studying the blond, ''What are you looking at—''

''Don't,'' Isla snapped, stopping Ava from turning around to get a glimpse of what dragged her attention off her friend, ''I wasn't—''

''Have you talked to him yet?'' Ava hushed, bringing her face closer to Isla's, ''I mean, does he know that he's—''

''He does,'' Isla muttered sternly, ''He's well aware.''

''And what does he say about it?'' She questioned, looking doubtfully at her, ''Did he tell you what he wanted you to do?''

''He wants to be left alone,'' Isla lowered her book back on her lap as she sighed, ''And Nott doesn't want me either, so I guess I'll just be alone from now on,''

''Don't say that—'' Ava placed her own book on the table, her face shifted in a grimace, ''We will figure it out. I promise.''

''How?'' She muttered, tipping her head forward as her hair fell across her features, ''I mean, how am I supposed to figure this out? They want nothing to do with me, and if I'm one hundred percent honest—''