37

Mature content ahead.

_____

''He should be here any minute now, shouldn't he?'' Her mother asked, standing by the stove as she stirred a pot, ''If he's not late, of course. The weather isn't the best.''

''I don't know,'' Isla was pacing back and forth, nervous for the brunets arrival, ''He's never late. Perhaps he changed his mind?''

She hadn't seen him for over a week, nearly two. Not since the school was excused for Christmas break and she traveled home.

Her mother scoffed, putting her spoon down as she turned to face her daughter, ''Why would you think that? From what you've told me, he seems like a sweet boy, Isla,'' Her tone light, hopeful, ''What is it that I always tell you? Don't judge a book—''

''Don't judge a book by its cover,'' Isla muttered, still pacing across the kitchen floor, ''I know, but what if he—''

The doorbell hewed her off, and she faltered completely in her tracks. Standing almost petrified now, her eyes flickered to level her mother's.

''Well,'' Her mother jeered, waving her hand towards the hallway, ''Don't just stand there, go and open it.''

Walking hesitantly to the door, she froze as her hand closed around the knob, and it wasn't until it rang again, her wrist twisted, and she shoved it wide.

Her heart pounded, the beat of it swelling in her ears as she watched the boy standing with a small layer of snowflakes covering his messy curls.

''Hi, you,'' Theodore smiled warmly.

Isla felt a curl as it arched on her lips, and she took a step out in the cold, ''Hi, you.''

His arms bent out in the air, and he brought her into a hug, wrapping his limbs around the nervous girl. She melted right into it.

She tried not to. She tried to distance herself even if she was pressed against him — but she couldn't. She couldn't possibly space herself from him.

There was something about him. Even if they claimed to be nothing more than friends, Isla was so dependent on him. Like her happiness and well-being rested in his hands.

''Theodore!'' Her mother greeted from behind them, making them jump apart as Isla stepped aside, creating room for her mother to welcome the Slytherin into their home, ''You made it here safe and sound, I see.''

Theo scanned her mother from head to toe before he reached his hand out, ''Mrs. Clarke,'' He issued, politely, ''And I did indeed.''

Her mother didn't hesitate with wrapping her arms around the boy, hugging him as he rose a brow towards the girl standing beside them.

Isla smiled shyly as she shook her head, ''Mom, that's enough, I think he gets it,'' She huffed out in half a chuckle.

Her mother's hands stayed on the boy as she leaned back, smiling graciously at him, ''You look like your father,'' She held the curve on her lips, ''How are your parents, alright and well I hope?''

Shuddering slightly by the icing weather, ''They are,'' He mumbled, sounding a bit displeased with the question, ''They wanted me to wish you a Merry Christmas.''

''Are they celebrating alone this year? No Christmas party?'' She asked, crossing her arms over her apron, ''They always used to throw such beautiful gatherings!''

''Mother—'' Isla pushed her lips into a firm line, shaking her head at the nosiness the lady brought, ''Perhaps we should invite him inside before he freezes to death?''