44

Pacing back and forth in her room, music ripped through the walls of it as if there weren't any. Isla waited anxiously for Theo to return.

He'd been gone for the two days he said he would, and midnight was approaching without a sign of him.

He never came back to school at this hour, always showing up before dinner and surprising her. But not now. He wasn't back yet.

Shooting a swift look towards the mirror, she huffed out. Brushing her dark green dress down, she'd even dolled herself up for the party, making sure everything would go according to her plan.

Only waiting a minute more, she stamped her foot against the floor, impatiently passing the time, but she couldn't wait longer. She had to join the others not to be too suspicious. Marching towards the door, her skin drained and her limbs shaking — Isla ripped it wide. It caused her to flinch back, startled by the boy standing outside it.

''Blaise?''

He pushed her back inside, slamming the wood shut behind him as she stumbled. Seeming anxious, his whole persona was on the edge of rupturing.

''Blaise, what are you—''

''What she did was cruel, Clarke.'' He spoke, striding in an eight-figure pattern in front of her, ''What she did was messed up, and I can't stand for it.''

Isla blinked quickly, and she nearly gasped at him. Not understanding a thing of what he was doing, ''I don't—''

''Ava!'' He yelled, in the loss of himself, ''What she did with that girl and what she did to Leo — it's fucking messed up. It's fucking mean.''

Taking another step away from him, she shook her head, ''That's not your fault, Blaise. It wasn't you—''

''But I didn't stop her!'' Keeping his raised voice, he hauled at the collar of his unbuttoned shirt, ''I should've stopped her, and I didn't. It's my fucking fault too, but she's crazy, Clarke. She's bloody mental. We fought the other day about this, and she threatened to make up some case against me too if I didn't agree with her.''

''Blaise,'' She said calmly. Her hands aiming for her arms to still his breaking self, ''It's alright, Blaise. She's not getting away with it.''

''You don't know her anymore—'' He panted, out of breath and scared, he was shaking, ''She's out of control. Ever since you two stopped being friends, she has been plotting everything. I tried to tell Nott, but she hexed me—''

''She did what? Blaise, what did she do to you—'' Isla was cut short by Zabini, caving into her arms. His hands snaked around her waist, and his forehead fell to her shoulder. He was so exhausted from acting like nothing was wrong.

''We need to stop this, Clarke,'' He heaved, gripping her body. She wrapped her arms around him, fully, ''They were my friends. Malfoy, Nott, even Green. He was my roommate for years, but she's taking them all away from me. She's turning them against me, and I'm—''

''Shhhh...'' Isla sought to calm him, stroking her fingers over his muscular spine, ''You'll get them back, Blaise. I promise. I'll talk to them.''

He jolted, his body flinging away from hers, and his head was shaking, ''No! No, you can't do that. She'll know. She knows everything. You can't tell anyone, but you have to help me.''

''How?'' Isla asked, shocked as voices began to mumble outside her door, ''How can I—''

''Here,'' Zabini's tone held in despair, frightened out of his mind for the girl he was doomed to marry. Shoving his hand down his pocket, he brought a tiny vial up, filled with what looked like gray smoke, ''It's my memory from when she told me how to frame all of you. She's out of it, Clarke. If she gets the slightest suspicion that I'm talking to you, she'll take my memories away, but you can use that.''