07

Theodore stood tall behind her, his arms crossed over his chest as he stared down at Isla.

She didn't quite know what to make of the situation, why he'd been following her all the way up here, but something repulsive flicked inside her as it, at the same time, felt soothing that he did.

''What do you think you're doing?'' Theodore frowned, his tone harsh as he hunched down. He sat down across the floor from her, leaning against another pillar, ''Drinking by yourself up here isn't quite clever.''

Isla simply huffed back. The alcohol burnt through her veins, and her blood soared more and more intoxicated by the mere second.

''I'm talking to you.'' He said again, ''Why are you acting like this?''

''Like what?'' She snapped back, her fingers scratching at the worn wooden floor, ''How am I acting, Theodore? I just got humiliated in front of everyone, and you expect me to what? Stay there?''

The hard eyes narrowed in hers, ''I certainly didn't expect you to act like a child and run all the way up here, a bit dramatic, don't you think?''

''Still, you ran after me, didn't you?'' Her eyes gazed over him, and the loosened buttons at the edge of his shirt, ''Just go. I won't do anything stupid.''

Theodore let out a chuckle, slightly shaking his head at her, ''And who said that I would care if you do?''

Isla's eyes rolled, and the bravery rose within her by the liquor she poured down her throat moments before, ''No one,'' She grinned, pathing the bottle up to her lips again, ''But neither do I, so I guess it's a win-win then.''

Theodore looked at her, how her mascara was a bit smudged underneath her eyes, not in a way that made her seem reckless, but in a way that made him concerned. The tips of her fingers tapped at the timber on the floor, and to him, she seemed anxious.

It caused him to feel bad, to feel responsible for her and the way she was acting right now.

His hand shoved into his pocket, and he hauled out a pack of cigarettes, placing one in between his teeth as his eyes flickered up to watch her again.

''Want one?'' He raised a brow as he stretched the package out to her, but she was quick to shake her head, ''No?''

''I don't—'' Isla held. The corner of her mouth arched, ''Ava smokes, so I hate smoking.''

Theodore nodded slowly as he pulled out a cigarette, flinging it over to her, ''With me, you don't.''

She blushed as he lit his own on fire before he threw the lighter at her, ''Do you know how to light—'' But before he could finish that sentence, she had already lit hers too, and with a deep breath, she inhaled the smoke.

''Careful—'' He warned her, but too late, and a trail of coughs together with a disgusted grimace came across her face, ''Told you,'' He mumbled, sucking in a harsh breath of fumes.

''Are you really this—'' She coughed again, wiping her mouth with the end of her sleeve as he began to chuckle at her, ''What?''

Theodore smirked at her confused self, ''You're a mess.'' He stated, tilting his head up to blow out the smoke.

''And what about it?'' She was hewed off by a hiccup this time, ''You seem a bit chaotic yourself. Yes, I'm a mess, but after the past year, who isn't?''

''We won the war, remember?'' Theodore inhaled, studying her from a distance, noticing how her face lightly slipped into a hurtful look, and with a deep breath, filled with smoke, he exhaled.

''Then why does it feel like we lost?'' Isla mumbled, and her sight snapped to watch the dimmed world in front of her.

Theodore didn't say anything else.