35

Mature content ahead.

_____

Isla was walking her way down to the library, feeling as if she needed to clear her mind after the letter she'd received the day before.

Her mother penned that she wished for Isla to come home during Christmas break, but that wasn't the thing that bothered the girl. She'd love to visit her mother and sister — it was the part of the letter she needed to reread about three times to catch what her mother was saying.

She wanted Isla to bring one of her choices home with her to meet her family. It caused her to feel terrified.

Not being in a good place with Malfoy, she knew that she could never ask him. He would most likely turn her down either way, and she didn't feel comfortable asking Theodore since he returned to school — things between the two scored differently.

Strolling through the doors, she shrugged the battle of who to bring off of her, and her sight wandered, looking across the few students seated in the library at the late hour.

A truly special boy trapped her attention. She heedlessly marched closer.

''Hi, you,'' Isla let a smile climb onto her lips as she watched the brunet, hunched down at one of the tables, ''Catching up on some homework, are we?''

Theodore's sight flickered, meeting hers in a heartbeat. He felt a curve tugging in the corner of his mouth, biting down his lower lip, ''Hi, you,'' His tone low, huskily, ''And yeah, something like that.''

Her books hugged tightly to her chest. She nodded, her hair spilling around her shoulders, ''How have you been?'' She asked dubiously, ''If I can ask, I mean — I don't want to pry.''

Lifting a brow, he smirked at her. Theo's arms held long over the table, his legs wide and stretched out below it, ''Of course, you can ask how I've been, Clarke. Don't be like that—''

Her smile slowly fading. She slightly frowned confusingly. It didn't feel as if he wanted to speak to her. His demeanor shifted dryly, ''I didn't mean—''

''I've been... good, I think. You?'' He cut her short, his eyes were bored at the books splayed out on the wood, and his fingers fiddled with the quill.

''Good,'' She forced a smile, and she backed up, not meaning to invade his privacy. He didn't answer her, merely huffing out a weak chuckle. He fixed his stare onto his homework.

''Have a good night,'' Isla blurted out nervously, spinning around as quickly as she possibly could, and she disappeared between the bookshelves, out of his sight.

Pinching her eyes shut, her spine struck a shelf, her head tipping back. The embarrassment of that short, painful conversation with Theodore washed over her, humiliation pouring, and she combed a hand through her hair.

It took her moments to collect herself. She wasn't used to that parched tension between them, and she felt so stupid for even approaching him. Turning around to return her old books, picking up a few new ones, she flayed her eyes wide.

Isla flinched.

Squealing as his large frame towered her, his hand pressed against her mouth, ''For God's sake, we're in a bloody library, Clarke. Keep your tone down.''

Isla blinked quickly. She watched Theodore, looking down at her with a smirk curling on his lips. Her hand pathed up to pull his away, ''Me?'' She choked out, her heartbeat pounding, ''I'm not the one sneaking up on people—''

''Shhh!''

It was a harsh hush from someone further down the library, and Theodore had to mangle his lips together not to burst out in laugher, earning a slap on his arm, ''Shhh...'' She whispered, frowning at the boy, ''You'll get us in trouble.''