10

Isla had yet again ignored and done everything possible to avoid the two boys her life had been paired with. She mostly stayed behind in her room and managed her schoolwork from there.

It all began to get to her. It nagged at her temper, but being held up in her room, all the days that passed wavered her even more. She felt as if she was suffocating within the four walls, and the tension between her and Ava turned unbearable.

She was sitting on her bed, with her books in her lap to study.

''It's exhausting to date someone, you know?'' Ava grinned from her own bed, rolling over to her side, ''How is it going for you—''

''I didn't even know that you were dating anyone.'' Isla snapped. Her eyes were glued to the book in front of her.

She refused to look at her best friend.

''Shit—'' Ava mumbled, propping herself up slightly, her legs folded over the edge of the bed, ''I meant to talk to you—''

''Before or after you left me at the party?'' Isla slammed her book shut, annoyingly narrowing her eyes at Ava, ''Because I don't remember you telling me anything about it then.''

''Isla—'' Ava said, her note desperate, ''I was going to talk to you about it, but it didn't really seem like a good time to do so.''

Isla's mind battled between the sudden urge of running out of there and rushing to the one place she always felt safe in or staying behind and listening to whatever excuse she believed Ava would fill her with this time.

She sighed loudly before her head tilted towards her friend. Nodding in a swift move.

''So...'' Ava managed, ''About the party, I didn't mean to run off. I thought you were going with me, and then I saw you with Nott, so I thought—''

''You thought what? That Nott and I are such great friends that I would casually hang out with him at a party?'' She shot back, ''Or that I was so eager to play some stupid game with Malfoy?''

Ava's eyes widened.

''I didn't even want to go, but you made me go, and it turned out...'' Isla quieted, standing flat on her feet, ' It was horrible, and I got humiliated.''

Ava nodded, slowly before she stood tall on her side of the room, ''I didn't mean for that to happen, and if I knew that Nott and Malfoy planned to play you like that, I would've—''

''They what?'' Isla's face fell into utter confusion and her shoulder sunk, ''Theodore too?''

Her stomach twisted as her arms folded over her chest.

''You didn't know?'' Ava rose, ''I heard Draco tell him all about it the day after—''

''And you didn't bother to tell me?'' Isla gritted. Her fingers curled up to fists.

''I told you that I wanted to tell you about it—'' Ava started, but the instant she did. Isla's head shook, and she turned around vividly before storming out.

It disappointed her to a point where it was hard to decide right from wrong. Deeply within, Isla knew that Ava meant no harm in what she'd done. Still, it nagged her.

Her feet stumbled as she rushed her way up to the Astronomy Tower — one of the few places she believed that she'd find some peace. Her breaths were heavy from walking up the stairs, and her heartbeat scored loudly in her ears.

Isla looked out over the dim surroundings, and she huffed to herself. Trying to catch her breathing as she slipped down one of the pillars.

It was quiet, pleasant up here, where no one seemed to be these days. Her eyes sealed as the wind lightly tugged at her hair.