43

Isla was sitting in the common room. The fireplace flamed in front of her as she lowered her sight onto her book. Reading at the late hour in the lack of being able to sleep.

Not wishing to be awake in her room in the middle of the night, she didn't want to wake Leo up as he finally rested.

After Theodore left her in that classroom earlier that day — she went to look for Leo, and she found him crying on the floor of their bathroom. Isla spent the entire night comforting him, holding and hugging him to sleep.

Her heart was shattering for her friends, and she was struggling right with them. Mila had shut him out, closed the door, and refused to open it as he so desperately craved to talk to her. He'd been trying to reason with her for hours, but she didn't let out as much as a word.

It crushed the boy to pieces. He didn't know what to do or what words to speak in order to fix this, but it wasn't about him lapping it together for her. For Mila, this was about saving him.

She so hopelessly believed she was shielding him from getting into more trouble. She hoped that if she spaced herself — no more harm would fall upon the boy she loved so deeply, but never did she understand that it caused it to feel worse.

Leo was scared, terrified to be sent to Azkaban for being in love. He tried to think of every outcome possible to rescue them both, but nothing stuck to him. He was facing charges for loving her and for robbing all the attention away from her duty to pick between her choices.

Mila didn't want to choose. She wanted to be with him. Barely had she even talked to the two boys appearing on her own letter at the beginning of this school year, all because she was head over heels in love with Leo. But that wasn't an option anymore, not since his sister had turned them in.

Feeling frustrated and beaten, Isla huffed out, flipping the page and studying the loopholes in the book of laws she read. She tried too. She had gone over that book probably three times in just a few hours — scanning paragraph after paragraph, word following word to make out something she could work with but nothing. The bylaws stood set in stone, and nothing could be done to cave it.

Too consumed in her misery being held for her two friends, she failed to hear the boy stepping down the stairs, leaning his shoulder against one of the walls, and he watched her.

It wasn't until moments later when she rolled her neck and shrugged her shoulders to ease the tension she felt — her eyes snapped to the blond, and she screamed out.

Slamming her palm across her mouth, she muffled the sound. Draco merely laughed out at her, amused that he caught her off guard.

''Malfoy—'' Isla breathed, feeling shivers as they pathed down her spine, ''What are you doing here? How long have you been standing there for?''

Snickering, he cocked his head, looking far too smug, ''Not long,'' Not wishing to expose that he'd been standing there for a while, taking in the girl he couldn't quite figure out, ''Don't flatter yourself, Clarke.''

''I wasn't—'' She frowned, lowering her book and sighing, ''Why aren't you sleeping?''

Her question caused him to squint, slightly and he forced a dry look, portraying unbothered, ''That's really none of your business, is it?''

Raising her brows, she rolled her eyes, looking away from him and his proud self, ''Well, don't come down here and scare me then.''

Draco hummed, quietly and he pushed himself off the wall, shoving his hands into his pockets as he sauntered up to her, dropping down onto the far edge of the couch. He tried to get a glimpse of what she was reading, ''I think the real question here is, why are you up so late?''