57

Mature content ahead, along with knife and a little wax play. Please read with caution.

_____

''Alright, so let's see if I got this right...'' Leo spoke up from the bunch of papers his face was hidden behind. He was standing in front of them as they all sat around the table in the library, ''We're testifying, all of us? Including Mila?''

Draco nodded slowly as Theodore hummed a silent yes. Both of them rested with their arms crossed over their chests, eyes locked at the table, not to risk looking anywhere inappropriate. Mila tangled her fingers into her hair, tucking her curls behind her ear, but she was quick to fold them back, not truly sure what to do or speak. 

Isla peered over at the nervous girl, feeling incredibly bad for what they were going through. Somewhat being able to relate to what was happening, she remembered the time when she didn't want to see any of her choices either. Recalling just how much she despised both Malfoy and Theodore at the beginning of the school year, only to not being able to live without either now.

''And that's supposed to help us how, exactly?'' He asked, not convinced with their plan, ''I mean, don't get me wrong. This is great, but the trial starts tomorrow, and I'm not sure how we're meant to convince them to let me stay out of prison, just by what? Speaking our feelings?''

Draco dragged his hands through his hair, his rings snarled into the blond strands as he sighed, once again needing to go over this, ''We're four people testifying on your behalf, and it's the first trial concerning the marriage law, so a lot of attention will surround it. We have to make it an emotional case, rather than a political one.''

Isla nodded to herself, piercing her stare at the table not to look at Malfoy as he spoke, but she was impressed. She'd never heard him speak similar to this before. He wasn't fooling around when he said he might be able to help them.

''He's right,'' Theodore agreed, ''There's a lot of people doubting this law already. Upset students and parents, considering the Ministry didn't take anyone into consideration but themselves, so if we manage to show them what they're actually doing regarding it, they'll cave. It's not humane. They're forcing people together and apart. That won't go unnoticed.''

Leo pushed his lips together, understanding how they planned it all, and his gaze landed on Mila as she sat utterly hushed and still. Not daring to speak a word, ''What do you think, darling? This isn't just about me, after all. You have a say in this as well.''

Isla looked at the girl, and she gingerly took Mila's hand in her own, stroking her thumb across her shaking knuckles, ''Do you need a minute?'' She asked silently. Knowing that the pressure could easily turn way too overwhelming, ''You don't have to agree to anything in here. You can go out and speak with Leo alone if you'd like.''

''No,'' Shaking her head, Mila looked back at her friend. Her skin had paled nervously, ''I just. All of you dropped out of school to help us with this. Malfoy is letting us live here so we can figure it out, and I can't—'' Her fingers tensed around Isla's, ''I can't ask you to argue the Ministry for me. They can easily come after you as well. You haven't chosen yet, and they will create problems for you if you meddle in something as serious as this, and I don't want that for you.''

''Then we'll deal with it, if it reaches that,'' Theo pitched in, his hand landed on her shoulder, giving her a comforting squeeze, ''We all want to do this, we want to help you, and if testifying is how we do it, then that's it. End of discussion, there's no questions about that.''

Draco nodded, slowly to consent to what Theodore said, and for the shortest of seconds, when Isla was meant to look from Mila to Theodore, their eyes leveled. Both of them looked away just as fast. They had yet failed to speak with each other for two whole days. Neither knowing what to say.