53

Theodore stood in the doorway to his house, his mother close behind him as she brushed a comforting hand over his shoulder, ''I'll leave you to it.'' She said, smiling before she walked away. Leaving her son to deal with the boy standing on the other side of the threshold.

The early morning breeze dragged calmly around them. He could feel the strong trail of alcohol as it lingered in the wind. The vague strokes of sun climbed the crowns of the trees. Shining some light upon the heavy embrace they seemed to be caught in.

He didn't speak. He simply stared at that blond mess standing in front of him. That was what he was—a mess.

His clothes disordered, his shirt half unbuttoned and pulled out of the hem of his wrinkled pants, his hair tousled, playing in the seeps of wind as it fluttered around them.

His eyes were swollen and red. His skin pale, a ghastly ashen shade took over. His whole self was chaotic. Theodore had never seen him like this. Not even the breakup with Pansy caused him to shatter as he did now.

''Is she here?'' Draco spoke, his voice cracked. His fingers nervously grasping at his wand before he placed it in his back pocket, ''She has to be here.''

Theodore pushed his lips together. Not allowing one single emotion to show upon his hard face. He meant to stay solid, steady.

''She has to be here.'' He repeated, blurting out his words, ''I've looked everywhere. She's not in school, not with Green or Walker, not in that house from last night, not at her own house—''

Theo tilted his head, straightening his shoulders, ''You went to her house?'' He frowned, dragging his brows together, ''When her mother was at home?''

''Of course, I went to her fucking house.'' Draco gritted, shoving his hands into his front pockets, ''I did something—'' He swallowed thickly. His throat had daggers ripping through every breath he seized.

''I messed up, Nott. I messed up fucking bad.''

Theodore's gaze slid away from him for a second, staring blankly at the yard around them before he was right back. Looking at his best friend, ''Well, she's not here.''

He needed to lie. He knew how Isla felt last night, how she came to his house, soaked in water and freezing, how she cried against his chest for hours, how she begged him to take her pain away.

''Fucking rubbish,'' Draco spat, nodding towards Theo's bare chest and the purple scars in his skin before his hand found the flare of his own shirt, and he pulled it aside, revealing the marks Isla had left upon him, ''I have those too, mate. So if that's not you engaging in some nasty shit with your cousin from last night — I know she's here.''

Theodore cleared his throat, folding his arms across his chest. Moored and solid. He had to. He couldn't cave, ''Draco—'' He sighed, his head dropping forwards in despair for them both, ''Let her be. Leave her alone for a few days, and let her process this.''

''So she told you, yeah?'' Malfoy shook his head, giving what sounded like a bitter laugh, ''If you know, you also know that I need to talk to her.''

''She's...'' Theo tried to stand his ground, even if it was hard. He couldn't get out of this situation without hurting one of them, ''You need to let her be upset. You hurt her, Malfoy. I know you've hurt her in the past — hell, I've hurt her, but this is different, mate. You said you loved someone else.''

Draco pinched his eyes shut for a second, breathing out heavily. There was so much ache running through his veins. He couldn't breathe. He didn't feel like he deserved to breathe, ''I know. I fucking know, and that's why I need to—''