45

It was stupid of her, she believed. Thinking that Draco had been honest with her.

Isla felt like a fool for trusting the words he'd spoken. He gave her his word that he didn't feel for Pansy anymore, yet she just caught them standing in the shadows, kissing each other.

Not that she could be mad, she truly felt like she couldn't. Isla had Theodore. She had Theodore, and the guilt of being upset with Malfoy for still having feelings for Pansy could eat her alive.

She couldn't be mad. Still, she was honest, and he wasn't.

Malfoy wanted her to ask him to wait for him, and she didn't. She didn't know how. Never had she been this divided — this parted and confused in her mind.

Pushing Draco out of her head, she went to find Theodore instead. He was back. She'd seen him in the doorway to the common room before she rushed after Malfoy. She watched him smile at her, and wave for her to join him, so she did.

''Theo...'' Isla gasped, and she practically threw herself into his arms, but the very minute she did, he didn't hug her back. Theodore always hugged her back. ''What—''

''So you're fucking him too now?'' He yelled out, causing the people close to them to snap their heads, looking confusingly at them, ''You just chose him over me?''

''I didn't—'' Isla shook her head, grasping at her own throat now. It felt like she couldn't breathe properly, ''But I hurt him, Theo, and I needed to speak to him. You told me that I should—''

''I don't give a fuck about what I told you. Are you fucking him?'' Shouting at her now, he gripped her arm, roughly, ''Are you fucking—''

''No!'' Isla's whole body trembled. She didn't understand a thing that was happening. She didn't know how this night could end in complete chaos. His hold of her arm began to sore. ''Of course, I'm not!''

''Get the fuck out,'' Was what he said before he dragged a hand through his hair, tugging it back wildly, and he pushed her out of the common room. Theodore slammed the door shut in front of her.

He humiliated her in front of everyone, but mostly to herself.

Standing in the dungeons now, she cupped her palms over her face, and she tried so hard to grasp what just happened, but nothing made sense to her.

Theodore had asked her to see Draco, to get to know and spend time with him. Never had Theo been as mean and violent with her as he was now, and the spot on her arm where he'd been holding her, ached. Rosy marks showed. Isla was so tired. She was so exhausted by trying to do right for everyone else — that she lost herself.

Sighing out loudly, she stumbled back. Her spine collided with a corridor wall, and she slipped down it. Her knees hugged to her chest, her arms folded around her limbs to make herself tiny, invisible, and she cried.

Silent sobs echoed throughout the darkened hallway.

Isla never meant for this to happen. She didn't mean to hurt either of them. She tried with everything she owned to make it even, to give them both equal parts of her with her best capabilities, and to the gravest reason she knew how, but somewhere along the line — she completely missed herself.

Too consumed and too riled up in both of her choices that she failed to see that it wouldn't be a thing left of her for them to have if she didn't start minding herself to. Knowing that she carried her own flaws, understanding that she indeed was as much to blame for this as they were, she didn't know what to do.

Conflicted and trapped in her mind as she was, Isla failed to hear the approaching steps and the boy that hunched right beside her, ''Isla?''

Coiling back, nearly throwing herself to the floor and her eyes flayed wide open, ''Theo?'' She whimpered, quickly drying her tears, brushing her hair away from her face, ''What are you—''