Ten

COMMENT

-

Ava

"You look...stunning."

I smiled at Enzo from the last step of the stairs. The second he saw me his jaw dropped. He stepped forward and gave me his arm which I gripped as we walked out. Enzo was going to be my plus one, it was my parents' suggestion. I planned on making James jealous tonight, I enjoyed how tense he was when he saw me with my friends in the pool, and a handsome man like Enzo was going to be even better at that.

My parents stood by the car, waiting for us. When we came out they both smiled widely and told me how beautiful I looked. I was wearing a wine-red satin dress with a split on my thigh. It highlighted my curves perfectly.

Our driver opened the door for us and we hopped in. My mom and dad were sitting in front of us, facing me and Enzo. During the ride we made small talk, mostly my dad and mom talking for themselves while me and Enzo did the same.

I hadn't even realized that we had arrived until the car stopped. I looked out the window and my mouth opened wide. It was a huge mansion. It was hard for me to think that James lived here by himself. Was he hiding that he was married? Was that why he just left...

The car was parked in front of the enormous front door, right by a water fountain. The garden was big and well-lit. It looked magical at night.

When we walked inside I straightened my dress and took a hold of Enzos outstretched arm. He smiled at me, he was wearing a suit and it was tight around his biceps, showing off his muscles. I barely got my hand around half of it. I smiled softly back. It had been a while since I saw James, and I was kind of nervous. He was extremely alluring and I hoped I wouldn't fall by his feet tonight.

The hall was filled with people wearing fancy dresses and suits. Although one, in particular, stood out. The second I stepped in his attention went from the group of men to me. I saw him eye my body before his eyes met mine. I felt butterflies and looked away, instead admiring his gorgeous home. In the corner of my eye, I saw him coming towards us. He didn't seem to have a date with him, guess the wife question is out of the way.

"Mr. and Mrs. Carillo, it's a pleasure to have you here tonight." He shook their hands and then his eyes darted to me. He gave me a gorgeous smile and once again his eyes appreciated my dress.

"Ava, you look wonderful tonight." His eyes glinted, and instead of shaking my outstretched hand he grabbed it softly and raised it to his lips, leaving a feather-light kiss. A shiver threatened to go through my body. I gave him a weak smile, wanting to act nice even though I felt mad and hurt at his behavior last time we met..

At last, he looked at the man who stood close beside me, and his eyes showed his surprise. Almost like he was too busy eyeing me, to notice Enzo at all. They were both tall, however James still had a couple of centimeters more on him. And his powerful muscular figure didn't give a chance to Enzos. His lips that were in a straight line now turned into a fake smile. They shook hands, and the awkward tension was making me uncomfortable, but my parents were clueless.

"You must be Lorenzo Fallaci. Welcome." I heard his fake enthusiasm as he spoke. Enzo gave him a smile and a nod.

"That's me, you have a beautiful home, Mr. De Luca." Enzos voice wasn't as deep as James'. Of course, James was a couple of years older.

James' eyes went to me for a second and I noticed his jaw clenching.

"Thank you. Are you a friend of Ava's?" The irritation in his voice was clear. Enzo chuckled and took a possessive hold of my waist. James' eyes averted to the action and his eyes went dark.