Fifty

Ava

"Come in!" my dad called from inside his office. I reached for the door handle and pushed it open, revealing my dad who sat behind his desk. When I passed the threshold he raised his gaze and his face lit up.

"Ava, to what do I owe this pleasure?"

I chuckled lightly and stepped closer to where he sat at his desk, holding the jacket in my hands tightly. It was still a tiny tad tense between the two of us. The news about me dating his thirty-six-year-old work friend had taken him by surprise. And not the good kind.

It wasn't that he had anything against James as a person, it was more the fact that he was dating me, his 19-year old daughter. I couldn't exactly blame him for being skeptical, he was simply looking out for me.

"I wanted to tell you something, about me and James," I said. He gave me a displeased sigh but gestured for me to take a seat on the chair opposite him. I walked to the chair and sat down, flattening out the skirt of my dress.

"What did you have in mind, cariño?" He asked, leaning forward to intertwine his hand on top of the desk.

[ dear. ]

"I want to move in with him."

A tiny frown made its way onto his face, and he leaned back in the leather chair, looking deep in thought. Was this a bad idea? Was he upset?

"Mija," He started. "Don't you think the two of you are moving too fast? You're still very young."

"You and mom got together when you were twenty, dad. It's pretty much the same." I reminded him.

"That was different, your mother and I were the same age."

"What does that have to do with anything? He might be older than me but that doesn't have to be a bad thing, and if you-"

"Alright, alright." He interrupted, gesturing with his hand for me to calm down. "You're starting to sound like your mother when I forget to feed the cat." He stated, a shadow of a smile on his lips.

I raised a brow at him and gave him a bored look.

"Listen, mija," He put his hand over mine. "I know I can't decide who you date or not, you're old enough to do that for yourself. I just don't want you to make any mistakes."

"I won't. It feels right with him, dad. I love him." I said.

To the rest of the world, James De Luca might be seen as a ruthless and dangerous man, but to me, he was so much more. I had fallen in love with him, and I could not see my life without him.

"Then I don't want to stand in the way." He gave me a tight smile.

•••

The blue sky had been replaced with a coat of dark clouds, and outside the mansion the rain poured down aggressively. I had always liked the rain, there was something so comforting in hearing the sound of raindrops smatter against windows.

The low sound of footsteps hastily hitting the floor outside the bedroom made me avert my attention to whoever was about to burst through the door. When they got closer I recognized them.