Summertime with James

"James, stop being a dick and let me down!" I cried between fits of laughter.

James was running around his large backyard with me on his back, clutching on for dear life.

"Never!" James yelled back and started running zigzag. You'd hardly believe we were 16, running around like idiots and screaming.

You see, there is an old apple tree in James' garden, and there were two perfect apples hanging right beside each other on one of the higher branches. They had come early this year, and we determined to get to them before the birds did. So I had crawled onto James' back to get higher up, and then right as I had picked them, handed them down to James who had put them in a basket, he set off at a run, determined to kill the both of us.

"Noo!" I cried, my face now wet with tears from laughing so much, "James the apples! The damn birds are getting to our apples!"

James gasped dramatically as he, too, spotted the blackbirds that were jumping closer and closer to our basket on their little feet.

He sprinted towards, flapping his arms and shouting and, as I had predicted, my arms gave way and I fell off him and tumbled to the ground laughing.

I got up quickly and followed after him, skidding to lie down on the ground beside him.

"You ok?" He said, trying to seem worried, "Little baby hurt herself?"

"No I did not hurt myself, no thanks to you."

This made James laugh even harder, pointing at me and cooing. "Aww did you get a bruise on your bum bum?"

"I MIGHT!" I yelled, and was then once again crippled with laughter.

It was the summer holidays. I had finished all of my exams, taking regular class time to catch up with the ones I had missed while I was away, and we were now waiting for our results.

Minerva McGonagall was now officially my guardian, but had found no problem in allowing me to stay with the Potters for the summer, she stopped by for dinner about once a week. It had been great, almost great enough to make me forget the ache that was almost paralysing my body after everything that had happened. Almost.

As we ate our apples, which tasted even better than they had looked, we looked up at the sky, watching the clouds float by.

"It'll rain later." I commented.

"It will not fucking rain later, those are just harmless summer clouds." James scoffed.

"You know, I'm not even going to argue with you, because within the next two hours you will be proven wrong."

Wesat outside for dinner, Fleamont had pulled out the grill and Euphemia had made a delicious potato salad. By the time we were done tidying up after the meal, rain was pouring down in bucketloads.

"I told you so." I told James, tempted to stick out my tongue, but resisting the childish impulse.

We were sitting in the attic playing a game of chess and listening to the rain drum down on the low ceiling. He had had actually become rather good now, and we tried to play at least one game a day.

Just as I was going to go in for the kill, Euphemia called up the stairs.

"You two come down right now, you've got a guest."

James and I looked at each other confused, but then trotted down the stairs and into the living room.

There, in front of the fireplace, completely drenched and dripping onto the carpet stood Sirius. Euphemia was hurrying around him, offering him blankets, tea, anything?

James and I rushed up to him, both quite sure of what had happened. Sirius' heartbroken face told the entire story.

As James was about to hug him, he pushed him away, "I'm soaking, you'll get wet."

"Sod off, don't be a fucking moron." James muttered, I could hear him holding back tears.

James pulled back, and I rushed forward to hold Sirius, and felt him shivering, whether from the cold or from emotion, I wan't sure. 

"Let's get you into a nice, hot shower." I said, tenderly, but decisively. I felt him nodding, but couldn't quite let go of him yet.

"I'm sorry, Ollie." He said, just loudly enough for only me to hear.

"I know." 

I let him go, but held onto his arm and started to lead him up the stairs. James picked up Sirius' trunk which stood by the front the door and followed up after us.

As Sirius was taking what he had promised us was going to be a long, warm shower, James and I were in the room next door. I was anxiously biting the skin around my nails and James was pacing around. Was Sirius going to want to talk about it? Had he finally decided he'd had enough or had he been thrown out? Not that it really mattered. I was sure Euphemia and Fleamont wouldn't mind letting Sirius stay here, the house was big enough. What was it going to be like to hang out with Sirius again? Would it be uncomfortable and forced or would it go back to how it used to be. How it was supposed to be.

The door opened, and Sirius walked in, hair wet, but wearing dry clothes.

"You're going to chew your finger right off, Ollie."

I looked down at my fingers instinctively and saw that three of them were bleeding. "I'm fine."

"Yeah," He said, "So am I." He said, and let out a deep breath. He looked relieved. "I'm done with them."

I smiled cautiously.

He started laughing, and sat down in the couch beside me, James taking his place on Sirius' other side.

Not too long after, the laughter turned almost hysterical, sobbing and crying at the same time. Repressed emotion that had built up for a long time had finally been allowed to let loose. I sat down on the floor in front of Sirius and held his knees as he exchanged between guffaws of laughter and cries of sadness, and James filled up Sirius' glass of water everytime he drank it up. Crying can be dehydrating.

After a while, his breath calmed down and he managed to sit more upright. He emptied the glass of water and took a deep, shuddering breath. "Yeah, that feels better." He put his hands on top of mine.

Instinctively, I kissed each of them. 

------A/N-----

An update (:

I'm sorry everything is so ... sad.

Lots of love,

21stCenturyMarauder